Gleaning & Food-Systems Coordinator UpRoot Colorado
- Date Posted September 15, 2022
- Location Boulder, CO
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job type Part-Time
UpRoot Colorado (UpRoot) increases the nutrition security of Coloradans by harvesting and redistributing surplus, nutrient-dense foods while supporting the resilience of farmers.
We envision a mindful, humane and equitable Colorado food system where everyone has access to locally-produced, nutrient-dense foods; where people are more connected to the sources of our food; and where farmers are valued for who they are: a cornerstone of our society.
Primary responsibilities include:
Outreach & Communications
● Nurture existing relationships with local growers, hunger-relief and social-service agencies
● Implement strategic outreach to farmers and fruit-tree stewards through email, phone calls and in-person visits in order to expand UpRoot’s impact and producer network for gleans
● Introduce UpRoot’s work to hunger-relief and social-service agencies and other entities with whom we have not yet partnered;
including local businesses, houses of worship, foundations, civic-minded groups, schools, and nonprofit organizations
● Conduct volunteer outreach and recruitment, conduct weekly volunteer communications
● Take photographs at gleaning events, and coordinate with UpRoot team members to create event flyers and social media posts
Event Coordination & Volunteer Management
● Communicate with growers to determine what is available for gleaning and/or pick-up weekly
● Manage communications with UpRoot’s volunteers and ensure volunteers sign waiver prior to gleaning
● Organize gleaning events where volunteers will assemble under the supervision of the Coordinator to glean food for distribution to local hunger-relief and/or social-service
● Train and supervise volunteers at gleaning events
● Implement staff and volunteer safety, food safety, and Covid-19 best practices at gleaning events
● Share educational information with volunteers on the topics of food justice, local food systems, causes of food surplus and waste, food insecurity, etc., contributing to increased community food wisdom
● Communicate with hunger-relief and social-service agencies to coordinate distribution of gleaned food
● Ensure all physical program supplies and equipment are organized and maintained
● Support development of Volunteer Harvest-leader program
Data Tracking & Program Administration
● Once donations are weighed, issue a tax-donation receipt form to farmers
● Ensure all outreach and program data is tracked accurately and in a timely manner
● Provide program data for use in funding applications and reports
● Support program evaluation, including gathering feedback from farmers, fruit-tree stewards, volunteers, hunger-relief agencies, etc.
● Basic administrative tasks including documenting activities, scheduling events, responding to inquiries, etc.
Other duties as assigned
● Attend weekly team “huddles” and individual meetings with regional co-director
● UpRoot is a small, yet growing, organization. The Coordinator may be required to assist with tasks in addition to the responsibilities outlined above.
● A passion to establish food equity, food justice and positive food-systems change
● Organizing, campaigning or outreach experience (e.g., outreach to volunteers, farmers, customers, community groups, elected officials, etc.)
● Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication, and organizational skills
● Experience/comfort coordinating volunteers and speaking publicly
● Ability to think critically and creatively and to work independently
● Ability to enthusiastically engage with people from diverse backgrounds to promote trust and collaboration
● Comfort working outdoors and in a variety of weather conditions
● The ability to lift 40 lbs. comfortably
● A valid driver’s license and reliable, personal transportation (you will be required at times to deliver gleaned food in your own vehicle)
● Comfort and proficiency with technology (such as Google Workspace, Salesforce, MailChimp), and/or a willingness to learn about these technologies
● An entrepreneurial spirit and a flexible schedule
● Agricultural/food-systems experience
● Food-safety and/or food-handling experience
● An outgoing personality and can-do attitude
● Bilingual (English and Spanish)
● Social media experience
This role is currently part-time and non-exempt. The rate of pay is $19-$20 per hour, depending on skills and experience, for up to 27.5 hours per week.
Mileage reimbursement for role-specific duties is set at $0.35 per mile.
Please submit your application as soon as possible for priority consideration!
UpRoot Colorado is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discriminatory practices against anyone on the basis of age, race, religion, national origin, disability, gender, sexual orientation, and any other protected category. We value—and are working to create a culture of—equity, honesty, transparency, gratitude, clear communication, respect, and continuous learning. We acknowledge that food justice cannot be achieved without racial justice. We seek to identify a candidate who is also committed to these values and who is excited to contribute to the creation of a food system in which all have an opportunity to actively participate and access to nutrient-dense and locally-produced food, where farmers are valued, and agriculture contributes to the health of both people and our environment.
As residents of Colorado, we stand on the unceded ancestral lands of the Arapaho, Cheyenne, Lakota, and Ute nations. These lands were also a site of trade, gathering, and healing of other Indigenous’ nations and peoples. We recognize Native and Indigenous peoples as the original stewards of this land, and our presence among their descendants who still dwell within it. We pay our respects to Indigenous and Native elders, past and present.
It is important that the communities we serve are centered in our work. Therefore, people of color and people who have experienced food and/or nutrition insecurity are encouraged to apply. Compensation this position is : hourly, $15-20/hr Application instructions