Farm Manager Carnation Farms
- Date Posted September 19, 2022
- Location Carnation, WA
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
Carnation Farms is a nonprofit organization on a mission to transform the way that people want to eat. We celebrate delicious and nutritious food produced in a sustainable manner by providing inspirational and educational experiences that positively affect health, the environment, and local economies. We develop the next generation of food citizens and grow new farmers.Job description
CARNATION FARMS seeks experienced Vegetable Farm Manager!
Carnation Farms as an organization is currently undergoing a transformation to strengthen our commitment to and redefine our role in local regenerative food systems. We are taking a step back from intensive production and instead growing our education programming by increasing hands-on experiences for our community including local youth, culinary professionals, entrepreneurs, farmers, and any other parties interested in acting as stewards to the land. This evolution will require that our new Farm Manager be ready to join the team that is leading this exciting change.
Title: Farm Manager
Department: Sustainable Agriculture
Description: Full Time, Year Round
Benefits include: medical, dental, vision, shot and long-term disability, cell phone stipend, 401K match, generous paid time off, on-site employee workout room, farm fresh eggs, snuggly sheep and bunny snuggles, all on a beautiful 818 acre farm property!
Carnation Farms is a certified-organic, mixed-vegetable farm with an extensive and diversified livestock program. We steward over 600 acres organic on our 818-acre property.
The Farm Manager manages the 15-acre vegetable production farm and distribution channels; they maintain the organic integrity of the vegetable production in tandem with the Livestock Manager. This position will be responsible for supervising several employees including hiring, performance management, training, and directing work tasks but will also be a working, “boots on the ground” manager. The Farm Manager will inherit a shifting but dynamic vegetable operation and will be instrumental in re-envisioning production as the organizational mission evolves.
The Farm Manager provides on-site management for the field production and farm crew, and supervises, plans, schedules, and participates in all aspects of farm operations: soil health, seeding, greenhouse management, cultivation and field prep, transplanting, weed and pest management, harvesting and post-harvest. This includes invoicing and monthly reports on sales.
The Farm Manager is also an integral part of our education mission, collaborating with leadership in planning and implementing educational programming on the farm.
- Planning, production, and maintenance of vegetables, herbs, berries and flowers for all sales revenues
- Field cultivation, crop management, soil health, weed management, and crop rotation
- High tunnel production for warm season crops and some winter production
- Create daily pick lists, weeding, and irrigation schedules
- Manage CSA registrations, newsletters, and distribution
- Keep records to maintain organic certification for crops
- Hire, train, supervise, mentor and evaluate seasonal field staff, including Farmer-in-Training participants
- Leading and participating in educational workshops and learning experiences, including Farmer-in-Training program
- Collaborating with partners to further our educational mission
- 3+ years of vegetable production and farm management experience.
- 1+ years managing two or more employees in any work setting but inclusive of interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and providing feedback to employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems; assisting employees in career growth and development. We are looking for someone who can positively lead and motivate their staff and cultivate a healthy team environment!
- Vegetable crop production, sales, and distribution experience including farmers’ market, CSA, and wholesale experience
- Fluent computer skills including data entry, word processing, spreadsheets, presentation
- Demonstrated leadership skills and experience leading employees with change and ambiguity
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently and take initiative, set priorities, and see projects through to completion
- Experience managing budgets, wholesale accounts, and invoices
- Previous experience and demonstrated comfort in an educational setting and providing/training staff and others on proper farm management systems and approaches and/or educational workshops
- Bachelor's or advanced degree in agriculture, food systems or education (and/or equivalent experience)
- Experience and knowledge to operate heavy machinery, tractors, hook up implements, field cultivation
- Prior experience working with a non-profit organization
- Familiarity with tools and possess the ability to repair minor farm issues and tools
Additionally, candidates should:
- Have positive attitude, flexible thinking, and be open minded to change
- Possess a valid driver’s license and have comfort driving farm vehicles
- Demonstrate an excellent work ethic and physical endurance in all weather conditions
- Be able to lift, carry, push and pull up to 50 lbs
- Be able to spend time standing, bending, walking and sitting
- Be able to work in inclement weather including rain, snow, ice, and smoke.
Approximate Breakdown of Responsibilities:
- 50% participation in sustainable agriculture fieldwork
- 30% office and computer work
- 20% education and partnership work
- Salary range: $60-65K, DOE
- Benefits include: medical, dental, vision, short and long-term disability, employer paid life insurance, 401K match, PTO. We have many other perks too such as an on-site workout room, farm fresh eggs, cell-phone stipend, snuggles with sheep foreheads and more!
Carnation Farms is an Equal Opportunity Employer:
Carnation Farms does not discriminate or determine employment on the basis of race, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, or any other factor; employment decisions are made only on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business needs. Carnation Farms is committed to an environment of mutual respect and maintains a zero-tolerance policy in regard to discrimination or harassment of any kind.
Compensation this position is : salaried, 50k-75k Application instructions Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! DeadlineOctober 28, 2022