Grain Co-Manager Granor Farm
- Date Posted September 22, 2022
- Location Three Oaks, MI
- Category Agriculture
- Job type Full-Time
Located in Three Oaks, Michigan, Granor Farm is a diversified organic farm cultivating grains, vegetables, flowers, and herbs. We farm approximately 400 acres in the area surrounding our original 35 acres, Granor’s base of operations. Granor’s farming operations focus on cultivating a wide variety of organic ingredients to support our farm store, CSA, greenhouse dining experience, bread-making, summer camp and next year a wine and spirits program. Since 2007 we have grown from two employees farming 4 acres to a full-time team of 17 responsible for guiding and operating Granor.
We are located in the heart of Southwest Michigan's Harbor Country, close to Lake Michigan beaches and vibrant small towns, just 90 miles from Chicago. This region is home to a wide variety of outdoor recreation opportunities available year-round and boasts a lively food scene, world-class wineries, craft breweries and distilleries.Job description The Grain Co-Manager is responsible for supporting all aspects of grain production at Granor, along with related budget, personnel, and infrastructure, property, and equipment assets. This position works very closely with the other Grain Co-Manager to continually improve how Granor produces organic grains, including corn, legumes, cereal grains, beans, and various cover crops. This full-time position reports to Granor’s founder and owner. Granor strives to produce consistent, high-quality products while remaining sensitive to limiting our ecological impact, an ethos that this position is expected to support and enhance.
- Support annual/perennial grain production and cover crop establishment, including crop planning and budgeting.
- Work with the farm’s wine and spirits program and other distilleries and breweries.
- Develop agronomic practices and reporting system to ensure food-grade quality for certain crops.
- Coordinate with the culinary program on milling grains for on-farm bread and pastry production.
- Develop and implement annual costs of production/profitability analyses for all crops grown.
- Maintain detailed records of all field work and adhere to record keeping practices required by organic certifier.
- Implement an OSP (organic system plan) in accordance with NOP standards and communicate/collaborate with farm team to successfully maintain the Granor’s organic status.
- Participate in continuing education to improve best practices for organic production and occasionally attend conferences and symposiums representing Granor.
- Participate in all routine and seasonal equipment maintenance and repair.
- Maintain organized and clean workspaces at all times, including tractor cabs, machine shop, and elsewhere.
- Regularly participate in discussions around crop rotations, inputs, weed control and harvest techniques.
- Explore developing on-farm composting program.
Previous crop farming experience required with an understanding of organic and other agronomic practices preferred. Able to comfortably operate various farming machinery including tractors, combines, headers, implements, and grain drying, cleaning and storage facilities. Working knowledge of and ability to perform equipment maintenance and repairs. Commercial Driver’s License and either a Bachelor’s or Associate’s degree from an accredited institution preferred but not required.
Compensation & Benefits
Commensurate with experience, the annual salary and bonus range for this full-time position is $50,000 to $60,000. A Blue Cross-Blue Shield individual health insurance plan (100% employer paid) is available after 90 days. 401K Plan, HSA, PTO and other benefits included. Transitional housing opportunity may also be available. Compensation this position is : salaried, 50k-75k Application instructions