Executive Director GrassWorks, Incorporated
- Date Posted September 23, 2022
- Location Madison, WI
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
Personality: The right candidate will have an innovative and aggressive approach to organizational and financial growth management with a strong mastery of grants management, fundraising, and organizational development. They will be committed to regenerative grazing, grass-fed food and farming systems, and grassland conservation and will engage enthusiastically in communicating the mission, values and needs of the organization. They will work closely with the board to inspire staff, partners, and program participants to achieve our shared goals. They will be well respected and well connected regionally and nationally and will keep GrassWorks engaged in cutting edge sustainable agriculture topics and non-profit best management practices.
Skills and Experience: At least 5 years in leadership roles and 5 years of experience in appropriate fields. Experience in a non-profit organization preferred, especially in fund development and financial management roles. Bachelor’s degree required. Prefer master’s degree or higher. Prefer farming experience and familiarity with managed grazing and livestock agriculture. Excellent written, oral, and technical communication skills. Good people-management, financial management, and administrative skills. Website and relational database management experience.
This is an exciting opportunity to work with GrassWorks’ board of directors to grow our organization and programming. A comprehensive list of responsibilities is listed below. Specific ED duties will evolve over time as the board of directors and the ED work together to build GrassWorks’ capacity. GrassWorks does not have a physical office. The position will be remote and the employee is expected to work out of a home office. Work commitment, schedule and salary are negotiable. The position is offered at 75 to 100% time with a salary of $60,000 or more commensurate with experience. A health insurance stipend is offered.
Activities and Responsibilities:
- Ensure that the organization has a long-term strategy to achieve its mission and makes consistent progress toward these goals.
- Work closely with the Board of Directors to establish long term goals and strategy, and assure that the Board is informed of immediate goals, and progress in program development.
- Provide leadership and support in program development, including assisting conference planning staff and committee with planning and carrying out a high quality annual grazing conference.
- Engage in and/or provide leadership in grant writing, fund development and financial management.
- Maintain a working knowledge of developments, new thinking, and trends in the regenerative grazing and grassland conservation.
- Maintain records and documents and comply with federal, state, and local laws and regulations related to non-profit management.
- Represent the organization and its philosophy to the public, to other organizations, and to government agencies.
- Work with GrassWorks staff and board to publicize the work of GrassWorks, its goals and its programs within the profession and the general public.
- Coordinate with board members, staff and volunteers to ensure the GrassWorks newsletter, social media and other communications with membership and the public occur.
- Establish good working relationships and cooperative arrangements with the agricultural community, partnering agencies, and with other organizations.
- Ensure that the board is kept fully informed of the condition of the organization and all important aspects affecting its well-being. Respond to board requests in a complete and timely manner.
- Steward GrassWorks’ budget to ensure financial health and that adequate funds are available to accomplish the organization’s goals.
- Develop an annual working budget with the treasurer and with input from other board members and staff.
- Lead and/or oversee grant writing and other fund development efforts and develop fundraising opportunities in partnership with the board.
- Work with the treasurer to maintain up to date financial records and distribute timely, accurate, and useful financial reports for the board and/or staff.
- Prepare, with the treasurer, all necessary documents for required annual reporting and audits.Submit necessary reports to federal, state, and local agencies.
- Apprise the board of directors of the organization’s current financial status on a regular basis and immediately at times of unforeseen opportunities or crises.
Administration and staff:
- Coordinate activities associated with the Board of Directors, meeting schedules, locations, development of agendas, and meeting materials.
- Administer operations of GrassWorks, including: review and evaluation of program activities, ensure contractual obligations are fulfilled, allocate resources to maximize program effectiveness and efficiency, develop organizational and administrative policies and program objectives in cooperation with the Board.
- Manage contractors and/or staff including interviewing, recommending for hiring and training; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Maintain a work environment that attracts, motivates, and keeps quality employees, contractors and volunteers.
- Ensure that an effective management team is in place with regular communication and consultation.
- Engage participation of volunteers in all areas of the organization’s work.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! DeadlineOctober 04, 2022