Greenhouse Manager Homefront Farmers LLC
- Date Posted September 23, 2022
- Location Redding, CT
- Category Agriculture
- Job type Full-Time
Homefront Farmers is a family-owned business, founded in 2011. Our core business focuses on helping bring all the benefits of an edible organic garden to people’s lives. We design, build and maintain custom at-home gardens with the goal of helping people produce their own food organically. We design beautiful, functional raised bed gardens that are built to last, season after season, and provide our clients with all the guidance and help they need to maintain it all season long. We also offer our clients other homesteading services, including beekeeping, maple syrup services, fruit trees, and more.
Homefront Farmers has a staff of 15 organic gardening professionals (Homestead Managers) who are passionate about what we do for our 200+ clients and consider it a labor of love to serve our clients and provide them with the joy of growing! We are based on a beautiful 11-acre farm in Redding Connecticut. This farm features the post-beam farm-house (that was raised and built by the family and crew), all our growing spaces including multi-acre fields, our 96-foot greenhouse, maple sugar shack, mushroom fruiting room, chickens, full woodshop and Diana, the resident cat.Job description Job description
The Greenhouse Manager’s primary responsibility is to oversee all planting and maintenance activities in Homefront Farmers’ certified organic greenhouses to supply beautiful, healthy seedlings of the highest quality for our client gardens and onsite farm business.
You are accountable for all that goes on in the greenhouses:
- Implement seeding schedule
- Help determine seasonal greenhouse needs
- Order and manage all seeds/seed baskets for Homestead Managers
- Schedule and complete all up-potting, reseeding, thinning, fertilizing,
- Daily pest/disease control
- Daily watering, including on weekend during the growing season
- Daily organization of trays, culling of spent plants, spacing of plants, pruning, up-potting, labeling, sanitizing, cleaning, etc.
- Reporting and record keeping on all activities including germination rates, growing problems, items for next season, etc.
- Communicate and collaborate with Client Operations Director and Assistant Greenhouse Manager on all client orders, plant quality, growing ideas/plans
- Communicate/collaborate with Client Operations Director and Owner regarding upkeep of greenhouse structure, irrigation, heating systems, poly, insect netting, etc.
- Off-season - research and plan best-practices for watering, growing, up potting, etc.
- Assist in annual budget planning and reconciliation
- Communicate supply stream needs to/with Client Operations Director and Purchasing Manager
- Maintain compliance with Baystate Certified Organic regulations.
- Work in client gardens as needed after peak greenhouse season has passed
Successful candidates must be/have:
- Extensive experience and track record of success in organic vegetable growing and/or organic seedling production and an understanding of greenhouse growing systems
- Extremely well organized, able to plan and execute complex workflow and project management (multiple greenhouse tasks, timelines, demands)
- Strong ability to clearly coordinate and communicate with both Homestead Managers and Client Operations Director
- Mature, level-headed, independent thinker and problem-solver
- Sense of humor and positive team energy!
- Committed to modeling Homefront Farmers’ Core Values
What else should I know?
- This position will be full time and assumes the following: 5 days/week in greenhouse through to end of June plus weekend watering, 2-3 days/week through early August plus weekend watering, 1 day/week through mid-September
- You will report directly to the Farm Operations Director
- Working from home part time is possible in the winter season.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit the following:
- A cover letter, outlining why the job interests you and why you feel you qualify for this job
- In your letter, please provide an additional 1-2 paragraphs reflecting on the following:
- Discuss what you believe are 2-3 top priorities in maintaining a thriving organic greenhouse
- What major vegetable growing challenges have you faced in the past and how did you resolve them?
- Your up-to-date résumé
- Two to three professional references – direct supervisor (names, position/company, your role in relation to this person while you worked with them, email, phone number)
- Anything else you’d like us to know/read/see!
- Pay range is $45,000-$55,000 per year commensurate with experience
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time
Salary: $45,000.00 - $55,000.00 per year
Benefits: Optional company health plan & 401k
- Flexible schedule
- 2 weeks paid vacatio
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Redding, CT 06896: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Horticulture: 5 years (Required)
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline