Crop Leader Six River Farm
- Date Posted December 05, 2022
- Location Bowdoinham, ME
- Category Agriculture
- Job type Full-Time
We are hiring for a Crop Leader position on our farm crew for the 2023 season. The position starts January 2nd 2023 and ends December 29th, 2023. Earlier start date is possible.
This position affords the opportunity to take the lead in the production of a cluster of vegetable crops on our farm, including planting, pest management, irrigation, record keeping and harvesting. It also entails the management of a harvest team (2-3 people) responsible for harvesting those crops, including organizing daily harvests and providing instruction on harvest technique, efficiency and task transition. Training in all aspects of relevant crop production and harvest is provided at the onset of the position.
Crop Leaders must have excellent communication skills. The position entails regular check-ins with us regarding crop conditions, pest pressure, harvest lists, etc, as well as the effective management of coworkers. Crop Leaders are also given a good deal of autonomy and must be self-motivated and be able to establish and maintain a fast and efficient pace working on the farm, leading with words and example for the rest of the harvest crew. Additionally, Crop Leaders must have good attention to detail and excellent organizational skills in order to facilitate effective crop management and coordinate efficient task work.
Crop Leaders are also expected to participate in a wide range of other farm tasks. Other work includes planting, weeding, harvest of additional crops, washing and packing crops for sale, and greenhouse building and maintenance.
-Required experience: at least two full seasons of experience on comparable vegetable farms
-Compensation: $17/hr (Jan-March); $18/hr (Apr-Dec); paid sick days at 1 per 360 hours
-Hours: Jan-Mar: 4 days a week 8am-4pm; Apr-Dec: 5 days a week 6:45am-4pm (5:45AM-3pm July/Aug)
What employees can expect from us:
- Clear communication regarding expectations for daily work and leadership and management goals
- Willingness to set aside time as needed during the workday or after hours to answer questions and provide further information to help in your role as Crop Leader
- An enthusiasm to share all that we know about farming and to help support you in your interest to learn more. This includes being available to meet after work hours, if there is interest, to discuss and provide resources for farm topics that might not otherwise be a part of your daily work.
- A fair and safe workplace where all employees are valued and respected.
- A tobacco and drug-free workplace.
What we expect from our employees:
- A good work ethic: The work we do is hard, physical work. We expect employees to stay focused and work efficiently. Employees need to enjoy working and to feel satisfied by a job well done. At times work on the farm can be repetitive and tiring. We value employees who can remain motivated and hard working throughout the day.
- An ability to work well in groups and be respectful of coworkers.
- A willingness to ask questions and learn from mistakes: We encourage questions of all kinds. Sometimes instructions may not be clear or tasks may change over the course of the season. We prefer that employees speak up so we can better explain how and why a job is done the way it is.
- An appreciation for efficiency: We focus on getting jobs done in the most effective and efficient manner possible. We try to demonstrate how to best complete different tasks and we expect employees to follow our examples and be willing to learn and emulate them. We are also always receptive to suggestions on how to improve systems on the farm and we strive to be open to constructive criticism. We expect the same from our employees.
- The ability to work hard in all weather conditions: We expect our crew to work outdoors even on days that are very cold or wet. Employees must bring rain gear and other appropriate clothing to stay warm, dry, and comfortable during the day.
- A sense of humor: It is always good to laugh and have fun while working hard!
If this description meets your interests please contact us. We ask that prospective employees come out and work at the farm for a day to get a better sense of how we operate. Farming can be difficult and stressful work, but we love what we do and we hope our crew will too!Compensation this position is : hourly, $15-20/hr Application instructions