Park Slope Farmers Market Manager Down to Earth Markets
- Date Posted January 20, 2023
- Location New York, NY
- Category Agriculture / Business
- Job type Part-Time
Part-time, $18/hour site management position available at our Park Slope Farmers Market. Work hours are weekly on Sundays from 7am-3pm at the market, located near the corner of 4th Street and 5th Avenues, and a few additional hours at home to file reports and occasionally in the field to help with promotion.
This is an ideal position for someone with retail, management, customer service, teaching, or other leadership experience, who is interested in learning about and contributing to the local food system. You should be friendly and happy to talk to all kinds of people, willing to do some physical work, able to communicate clearly and with confidence to both your Down to Earth colleagues and the vendors and customers in the market, organized and aware of the importance of good record keeping and reporting.
The Farmers Market Manager oversees day-of-market operations as Down to Earth Markets' on-site representative, working closely with the company's office team to help ensure the market's success and spearhead interactions with market vendors, shoppers and the community:
- Supervising and managing daily operations to assure a smooth- and safe-running market
- Enforcing market rules and regulations
- Collecting and reporting market data and success metrics
- Setting up and breaking down the market manager tent and display, market signage, and any other Down to Earth equipment as needed
- Selling farmers market branded items
- Taking initiative in providing customer service; serving as a market host to welcome and engage shoppers, promoting good relations between vendors, our company, and the shoppers
- Assisting shoppers and vendors with use of food access and nutrition programs (SNAP, FMNP)
- Reporting successes, concerns and opportunities to Down to Earth Markets; sharing feedback and ideas
- Occasionally representing the farmers market at community events and through flyer distributions
- Attending weekly conference calls with fellow managers and the Operations Manager
- Occasionally filling in for fellow site managers at other market locations
Physical / logistical requirements:
- Able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds
- Able to walk and stand for several hours at a time
- Able to work in all weather conditions, e.g. heat, cold, rain, sun, wind, snow
- Complete two days of shadowing alongside another site manager at another farmers market as part of training
- Complete the required flyering shifts as scheduled with your manager
- Arrive 1 ½ hours before the market start time to lead market set up and stay at least one hour past closing time (or as needed) to oversee breakdown, load out and clean up
- Communicate regularly, effectively, and in detail ensure a steady flow of information between the market and the office
- Monitor and reply to messages from the office, especially around end-of market reporting and pre-market prep
- Post to Facebook/Instagram on behalf of the market on market days and work with the Digital Marketing Manager to provide information and images from the market for marketing purposes
- Have use of a smartphone that can install and use Microsoft Teams, ADP Mobile, and Facebook/Meta Business Manager
We are seeking candidates who are available to start immediately. Training will be provided.
Down to Earth Markets is a mission-driven Benefit Corporation and Certified B Corporation using business as a power for positive change in the world.
All employment decisions that Down to Earth makes are based on organizational needs, job requirements and the employee's or applicant's qualifications. We are an equal opportunity employer. All job applicants are welcome regardless of race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.Compensation this position is : hourly, $15-20/hr Application instructions Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline