Transporter The Urban Canopy
- Date Posted January 19, 2023
- Location Chicago, IL
- Category Business
- Job type Full-Time
Founded in 2011, The Urban Canopy is pioneering the local food cycle to create a more sustainable and equitable food system in Chicago. We are growers, distributors, composters and community members who seek to positively impact our city’s environment, people’s health, and local economy. We strive to make healthy produce accessible to all, reduce the miles fresh food travels, keep food waste out of landfills, and create and maintain local jobs.
To achieve this, we structure our business into seven Branches: Compost Club, Indoor Farm, Outdoor Farm, Local Unified CSA (LUCSA), Farmers Markets, non-local Distribution and Processing. These branches each work in their own way to change the way our food is grown, distributed, and wasted.
We operate according to B-Corp principles with a triple bottom line of people, planet and profit. In service of the environment we focus on reducing food waste, food miles, and encouraging and enabling sustainable farming practices. In service of nutrition we make healthy produce accessible and available year round. We work for food access in order to empower our communities to build towards a healthier food system. All this is achieved through local, self-sustaining, meaningful jobs, constantly growing to meet the demand for a local, ethical, sustainable full-cycle food system in Chicago.
The Urban Canopy is a young and diverse organization working on cutting edge issues at the intersection of urban agriculture and sustainable food. We are seeking a skilled Residential Transporter to help support our vision: to create a sustainable and equitable food system by way of environmental stewardship, local job creation, healthy-living initiatives, and community building.
Transporters are vital to achieving our vision by driving to physically distribute local and organic food, as well as collecting compostables throughout the Chicagoland area for our Compost Club service. There are two types of Transporter roles: Residential and Commercial, in which a Transporter (depending on availability) can choose one or the other or both. Ideally transporters can be flexible to do either type of transportation role.
Duties and Responsibilities (Urban Canopy phone & vehicle provided):
- Collecting compostable waste from our Compost Club members.
- Delivering goods to various commercial customers and community partners across Chicago.
- Communicating with customers about specific deliveries/pickups in person, by text or over the phone.
- Recording impact stats for Compost Club members. and recording delivery information for UC customers.
- Recording a variety of information from routes into online spreadsheets.
- Coordinating follow-up with customers from other Urban Canopy Branches.
- Maintaining vehicle cleanliness and functionality.
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Enjoy doing physically active work
- Capable of lifting 50 pounds
- Expected to handle more stops per route consisting of 5 and 7 gallon pails
- Be able to use a smart phone for customer phone calls, texting and GPS navigation
- Ability to adapt to changing circumstances and handle moderate amounts of uncertainty including inclement weather
- Skilled in driving medium to large cargo vans; former professional driving experience is highly preferred
- Effective verbal/written communicator
- Maintain punctual & consistent attendance
- Positive work ethic
- Able to work in a team and independently
- Broader interest in sustainability and urban farming
- Start date: April or May
- Seasonal & Permanent positions available
- 24-40 hours per week, Mon-Fri from 8am-4pm
- Candidates can expect to be involved in other Urban Canopy operations in addition to Transport
- Wage starts at $16.50 per hour with a $1 increase after training period.
- PTO is offered at 1 hour earned per 20 hours worked. (up to 13 days/year for full time)
- 401k retirement plan options available
- Parental Leave after one year of employment.
- Free and wholesale fresh produce and food options.
- Complimentary Compost Club membership: home pick-up option available to employees within our service areas.
- Eligible for health insurance options with a $200 monthly stipend plus an additional $200 monthly for one additional spouse/child/dependent.