- Date Posted January 23, 2023
- Location Falls Village, CT
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
Hazon is the national umbrella organization leading the Jewish environmental movement, and the largest faith-based environmental organization in the U.S, leading the Jewish response to the climate crisis and working in coalition with other faith and cultural groups as well. Now, Hazon is merging with the strongest Jewish retreat center and JOFEE site in North America, the Pearlstone Campus just outside of Baltimore, creating a stronger organization than ever before to lead the Jewish, Outdoor, Food, Farming and Environmental Education (JOFEE) world and the Jewish environmental movement as a whole. Isabella Freedman Jewish Retreat Center is a year-round 180-person retreat facility located in Falls Village, CT, and home to Adamah, an organic permaculture farm that supplies the kosher kitchen with a bulk of its produce.Job description
The full-time cook position is responsible for the preparation and execution of the food service at Isabella Freedman. Working alongside the Executive and Sous chef, the cook position will be responsible for being the strong third; a responsible, dependable, trustworthy and motivated member of a small close-knit team who is looking to grow into a leader. The food at Isabella Freedman, a certified kosher kitchen, is focused on seasonal and local products prepared simply, utilization of a range of preservation methods, and increasingly utilizing live fire cooking. This position is ideal for an early career cook with a desire to learn, an interest challenging oneself within the boundaries of local, seasonal, kosher, and large event cooking, and a killer work ethic.
- Maintain the cleanliness, organization and safety of the food service facilities, equipment, and supplies
- Maintain the integrity of the kosher rules and guidelines; respect the history, perspective and observance of the Jewish customs to which the kitchen must adhere to maintain kosher status.
- Maintain the integrity of the food in storing, handling, preparation and service.
- Execute production as detailed by the food service leadership.
- Maintain schedule as detailed by the food service leadership; position requires some flexibility with regards to weekends, holidays, mornings and nights – however, we strive to set reasonable, realistic and predictable schedules to the best of our ability.
- Be committed to clear and forthcoming communication, encourage a supportive environment, adopt a mindset of continuous improvement, serve as positive role model for youth program participants.
- Three to five years of kitchen experience, demonstrating a commitment working respectfully and with integrity.
- One+ years’ experience working with/cooking with fresh produce preferred.
- Willingness to try new things.
- Ability to work with a sense of purpose and urgency.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time; lift up to 50lbs;
- Flexibility with schedule; morning availability a must.
- Food Protection Certification accepted by state of Connecticut, or willingness to obtain within 90 days.
- Knowledge of kosher observation a plus.