Assistant Flower Farmer Sweet Greens Farm
- Date Posted January 27, 2023
- Location Scottsville, VA
- Category Agriculture
- Job type Full-Time
We are seeking candidates to join our team for the 2023 season. Experience on a production farm, especially a cut flower farm, is strongly preferred. Ideal candidates will have a positive attitude in all weather conditions, a strong interest in flowers, food and farming, be capable of working at an efficient pace and enjoy working outdoors both on a team and individually. This position involves all aspects of farm production including bed preparation, planting, weeding, irrigating, trellising, harvesting & processing, packing orders, making bunches and bouquets, washing buckets and totes, cleaning workspaces, and some marketing responsibilities. The focus will be on flower production and harvest but you will also be involved in vegetable production and harvest.
While you will be immersed in beautiful flowers in an idyllic setting, be aware that this position is physically demanding and the work can be fast paced, repetitive and hard on the body. We work in all weather conditions throughout the year, stand up to 7 hours a day, and cut flowers 2-5 hours a day up to 5 days a week in peak seasons. We grow hundreds of different varieties of flowers each with its own unique set of standards. We value the ability to learn quickly and work efficiently while paying attention to detail to maintain our quality standards.
We work closely with you to train you in our production, harvest and post-harvest practices. Once trained you will be expected to complete tasks independently, efficiently and with attention to detail in order to maintain our quality standards. For example, you will be expected to be able to read a harvest list, cut and process the flowers to our specifications from that list, then follow a detailed packing list to pack and label those orders (bunches, bouquets, vegetables, etc) for their final destination.
We strive to maintain a positive and welcoming work environment. The farm is our place of business but it is also our home which we share with our adventurous toddler and very friendly extra-large dog, who you will see daily. Our main farm area is set within 15 fenced acres on our 65 acre property which is very peaceful, comprised of rolling hills, creeks, native plants and trees, a pond and lots of wildlife.
We work Monday through Friday on the farm, with rotating Saturday farmers market responsibilities. A typical work day is about 8 hours with a 30-45 minute unpaid lunch break. The start time varies throughout the year but is approximately 7-4pm - earlier in the summer (6am), later in the shoulder seasons (9am). The main season runs from March 1st through November 22nd. There may be the possibility to continue work part-time over the winter and stay for another season.
You will report to the farm owners/managers, and will work both independently and alongside the farm owners and one or more employees on a wide variety of tasks.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Field work including weeding, planting, field preparation, irrigation and farm maintenance
- Cutting, processing and bunching flowers and assembling bouquets
- Greenhouse work including seeding, propagation and maintenance
- Cleaning, sanitizing and organizing equipment and materials
- Harvesting, washing and packing produce
- Working our booth at the farmers market on rotating Saturday mornings (includes loading, unloading, set up, sales, restocking, break down and driving a large van)
- There is the potential for delivery driving shifts and assisting with floral design work.
Ideal candidates will possess the following traits:
- positive attitude
- ability to work on a team and individually
- ability to work quickly and efficiently
- attention to detail to maintain quality standards
- eager to learn and retain information on crops and new farming systems
- capable of receiving feedback
- strong communication skills
- ability to work in all weather conditions
- physical stamina with the ability to stand, bend, kneel, squat, cut/snip and lift and move 50 pounds, repeatedly for extended periods of time.
- Must have a drivers license as you will be required to operate farm and delivery vehicles. We are located in a rural area with no public transportation, therefore reliable transportation is required.
- Our Covid policy requires that employees are fully vaccinated.
Full season commitment March-November is strongly preferred
$15-20/hr commensurate with experience. Free excess flowers and produce are available for personal consumption. We provide workers compensation insurance. As part of a small team you will have the opportunity to learn about all aspects of farm production and receive extensive on the job training. You will have the opportunity to visit other farms as part of the CRAFT program.
Housing is available for rent as a private bedroom in a shared 2br apartment in downtown Scottsville for $500/month. Housing is contingent on employment.Compensation this position is : hourly, $15-20/hr Application instructions Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline Attachment click here to download the attached document.