Garden Coordinator - Flexible Hours Garden To Table
- Date Posted January 27, 2023
- Location Boulder, CO
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job type Part-Time
Mission: Garden to Table empowers school communities with gardens and curriculum to engage all students in experiential outdoor education.
Vision: Our vision is a future in which gardens are an integral part of every school, fostering connection to nature, student health and wellness, academic engagement and achievement, and environmental and community stewardship.
Goals: We strive to engage all students in our partner schools with increasing opportunities to participate in garden-based learning. We will provide increased levels of support and training for teachers. We aim to make school gardens more welcoming and meaningful to a greater diversity of students and their families.
Our new Garden Coordinator will work at 4-6 elementary schools across Boulder County to complete necessary growing season tasks. The vast majority of the work is performed along with guidance from our Garden Managers. Garden Coordinators maintain our partner schools’ gardens in collaboration with parents, make weather-based adaptations, prepare for garden-based lessons, and complete miscellaneous related duties. Candidate needs to be highly organized, capable of managing multiple tasks, have a willingness to learn, and have strong communication skills.
Spring Garden Setup & Maintenance
● Preparing soil for summer planting
● Preparing summer irrigation systems, with guidance from Garden Managers
● Removing weeds
● Cleaning, repairing and storing hoop covers used in early spring
● Maintaining Regular communication with school so that garden care is a collaboration
between our non-profit and each school’s parent leadership
Summer & Fall Garden Maintenance:
● Setting up garden structures, wind protection, trellises, etc.
● Performing weekly garden maintenance – weeding, reseeding, staking, thinning, pruning,
training, irrigating, harvesting etc.
● Building community enthusiasm for the garden by connecting with school staff and neighbors
● Monitoring plants for pests, disease and soil problems
● Amending soil, storing equipment and preparing irrigation for winter
● Working with Garden Managers to accomplish miscellaneous tasks
● Experience with vegetable garden maintenance
● Good stamina and strength, ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions and lift 40 lbs
● Flexibility, reliability, dedication, and enthusiasm for the mission of Garden to Table
● Knowledge of vegetable plants
● Possession of a valid Colorado driver’s license and have regular access to a vehicle (Mileage
will be reimbursed)
● Regular access to a fully operational computer and cell phone
● Ability to pass BVSD background check
● Willingness to use apps Slack and Airtable for staff communications
● College degree is NOT required
Desired Skills & Abilities:
● Love of gardening and strong desire to learn more
● Strong communication, problem solving, and organizational skills
● Self-motivated, team player, flexible, outgoing, resourceful
● Willing to engage with members of the public and school communities
● Strong interest in plants, education, working outside, and environmental stewardship
● Passionate about Garden to Table’s mission & vision
● Detail-oriented in order to be attentive to changes in the gardens
● Knowledge of Colorado weeds, pests, and disease
● Comfort working around children / families and sensitivity to physical safety
● Ability to speak Spanish a strong plus
Garden to Table is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee
or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sex, gender identity, sexual
orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or veteran status.