Seasonal Greenmarket Site Lead (PT) GrowNYC +5 more
- Date Posted February 02, 2023
- Location New York, NY
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job type Part-Time
GrowNYC is a 51-year-old environmental nonprofit organization - helping more than 3 million New Yorkers by providing essential services and taking action to make NYC a livable city, one where every person can enjoy a healthier, more sustainable life.
- Our network of Greenmarkets, Farmstands, Fresh Food Box sites and Greenmarket Co. ensures that all New Yorkers have access to the freshest, healthiest local food.
- We blanket the five boroughs with resources like textile and food scrap collection, Stop 'N' Swaps, as well as free training to make waste reduction easy for all.
- We build and support community and school gardens through volunteer days, technical assistance, training, grants and more.
- We provide 70,000 children each year with programs that provide meaningful interactions with the natural environment.
Note to applicants on COVID safety: GrowNYC is committed to stopping the spread of Covid-19. All new hires must be able to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination during the onboarding process. Employees are also required to follow COVID safety protocols as the situation evolves, which may include daily healJob description
$250 signing bonus for new hourly hires after August 1st, 2022. New hires will receive the signing bonus after 60 days of active employment. Terms and conditions apply.
Seasonal Greenmarket Site Lead (Part-time)
Site Leads are Greenmarket’s representatives to the public. On a daily basis, they work to build healthy communities and create an environment where local farmers can sell their products and keep their farms viable. The Site Lead position is seasonal and is comprised of three equally important pillars – operations, promotions, and food access.
Seasonal Site Lead Responsibilities (Include but are not limited to)
- Oversee market set-up – coordinate placement of farmers’ tents and vehicle parking according to the market layout
- Set up and break down GrowNYC information tent, folding tables, and perform other physical labor
- Complete daily reports and other site-specific paperwork by assigned deadlines
- Follow and enforce market rules and regulations
- Manage conflict in the market between farmers, customers, and the public as it arises
- Attend weekly meetings with supervisor and on-going trainings as needed
- Perform SNAP/EBT, debit/credit, and cash transactions at sites and maintain accurate records
- Manage at-market nutrition incentive currencies and ensure that financials are balanced after each shift
- Educate customers on a variety of food access and incentive programs
Promotions & Outreach
- Develop and maintain relationships with customers, community leaders, city employees, local merchants, etc. while representing Greenmarket
- Work with supervisor to plan at-market promotional events (varies by site)
- Perform outreach in the local community to promote markets and the use of SNAP/EBT at markets
- Willing to work every scheduled shift throughout the season, including weekends and holidays
- Early riser who enjoys working outdoors in all weather conditions
- Strong communicator who enjoys talking and working with people of all backgrounds
- Works well both independently and as a member of a team
- Comfortable working with the public in a variety of NYC neighborhoods
Ability to lift up to 50 pounds and stand for periods of up to 10 hours. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Each Greenmarket shift consists of 8-10 hours of on-site work. During the Winter season (Nov-May), most shifts occur over the weekend and start as early as 6AM. Greenmarket Seasonal Site Leads work a minimum of 1 shift per week and a maximum of 3 shifts per week, plus an additional 1-3 hours of office work per shift. Expect to work 15-20 hours per week, with the opportunity for additional hours covering shifts at various Greenmarket locations.
The position is a non-exempt, part-time, variable hourly position. It pays $21 per hour and includes only statutory benefits.
Greenmarket operates sites in all five boroughs – all locations are outdoors.
GrowNYC is an Affirmative Action Equal Opportunity Employer and hires without regard to race, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation or physical disability.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline