Chelsea Farmers Market Manager Down to Earth Markets
- Date Posted March 18, 2023
- Location New York, NY
- Category Agriculture / Business
- Job type Part-Time
Chelsea Farmers Market Manager
Part-time, $18/hour position available at our Chelsea Farmers Market on Saturdays from 7:30am-3pm located in Manhattan on 23rd Street between 8th and 9th Avenues with additional flexible hours outside of market day for flyering and community engagement opportunities.
The Farmers Market Manager oversees day-to-day operations of one of our seasonal, outdoor farmers markets in New York City or Westchester County. The manager is Down to Earth Markets' on-site representative, working closely with the company's office team to help ensure the market's success and spearhead interactions with market vendors, shoppers and the community. The Market Manager should cultivate a sense of ownership of their Farmer’s Market through:
- Supervising and managing daily operations to assure a smooth and safe running market
- Coordinating with the office team to cater to vendors and the community in a timely, accommodating fashion
- Enforcing market rules and regulations
- Collecting and reporting market data and success metrics
- Setting up and breaking down the market manager tent and market signage
- Selling farmers market branded items
- Taking initiative and serving as a market host to welcome and engage shoppers, promoting good relations between vendors, our company, and the shoppers as a representative of Down to Earth Markets.
- Assisting shoppers and vendors with use of food access and nutrition programs (SNAP, FMNP).
- Engaging with shoppers and vendors to report successes, concerns and opportunities to Down to Earth Markets.
- Representing the farmers market at community events and through flyering distributions.
- Attending weekly conference calls with fellow managers and your Operations Manager
- Having one's finger on the pulse of the community and news which may affect the market, shoppers, local businesses or the community
Physical / logistical requirements:
- Able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
- Able to walk and stand for several hours at a time.
- Able to work in all weather conditions, e.g. heat, cold, rain, sun, wind, snow.
- Complete two days of shadowing in conjunction with market opening dates.
- Complete the required flyering shifts in advance of the markets’ opening date and during the course of the season.
- Arrive 1 ½ hours before the market start time to lead market set up and stay at least one hour past closing time to oversee breakdown, load out and clean up.
- Communicate regularly with Operations and Marketing to ensure a steady flow of information between the office and the markets.
- Read weekly Site Manager Update, Shopper Email and other occasional communications.
- Receive and reply to last minute market updates relayed via e-mail, text or phone.
- Respond in a timely manner to communications from the office.
- Have use of a smartphone that can install and use Microsoft Teams and Paylocity for market-day communications and to post to Facebook.
- Access to reliable transportation.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline