Community & Vendor Services Coordinator Essex Market
- Date Posted March 18, 2023
- Location New York, NY
- Category Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
ESSEX MARKET • Overview
The Essex Street Market Vendor Association (ESMVA) is a not-for-profit organization whose membership consists of a diverse group of vendors that call the historic Essex Market home. ESMVA’s mission is to support the market’s small merchant community through vendor advocacy and operational support. ESMVA acts as the central point of contact between market management, operational partners, community-based organizations, as well as other governmental and community stakeholders.
Essex Market is New York City’s largest public market and the centerpiece of the citywide public markets portfolio managed by NYC EDC. The Lower East Side Partnership (LESP) is the operational partner for Essex Market, and provides programming, promotional, and logistical support to NYC EDC. This includes all community-based programming and other promotional activities at Essex Market.
The Community & Vendor Services Coordinator works in collaboration with onsite personnel for NYCEDC and LESP to connect one-on-one with vendors providing support services for our community of small food and beverage merchants and provide day-to-day operational support enhancing their ability to thrive and grow.
This is a full-time position ideal for entry-level professionals interested in New York City’s food system, small food businesses, community-based food programming, and/or economic development. This position is based at the Essex Market and may require occasional evening and weekend hours.
1 - Management of vendor support services:
- Liaise between vendors and NYCEDC;
- Liaise between vendors and LES DMA;
- Catalog vendor concerns in a streamlined system for reporting to NYCEDC;
- Ensure vendors are continuously updated about EM’s operations, programming, and promotional initiatives, and;
- Coordinate monthly vendor meetings and recurring meetings of the ESMVA Board of Directors;
2 – Field inquiries and coordinate private events for Essex Kitchen and the facility at-large in collaboration with NYCEDC personnel;
3 - Oversee general market inquiries via “info@” accounts inclusive of press, tenant inquiries, marketing opportunities, and community partnerships;
4 - Provide promotional assistance pertaining to vendor specific promotions and facility enhancements;
5 - Direct on-going market events with EM’s Community Programming Manager such as vendor tastings, tours, nighttime panel discussions, holiday celebrations, and weekend family activities;
6 - Coordinate with local community partners to maintain and stock the EM Community Fridge;
7 - Support execution of facility based promotional installations in concert with LES DMA personnel;
8 - Assist with tracking of programmatic and event based expenses, and;
9 - Administer related data collection and analytics reporting.
- Demonstrated interest in food systems, small businesses, and community organizing;
- Ability to work with a diverse population of shoppers, small merchants, and community members;
- Very detail-oriented, strong and professional writing skills, and comfortable speaking in front of groups;
- Eager to engage with our community of vendors and local residents to build the best possible marketplace.
- Experience with restaurant or marketplace operations;
- Chinese (Cantonese) and/or Spanish speaking;
- Interest in community-facing food and grocery programming.
The Essex Market Vendor & Community Services Coordinator is an employee of the Essex Market Vendor Association (ESMVA) and the Lower East Side Partnership (LESP) through a contract with New York City Economic Development (NYCEDC).
This job reports in-person at Essex Market with the flexibility for 1 remote workday per week.
55-57K + medical, dental, vision, Citibike Membership
This job is not exempt from overtime pay. As such, the hours will be tracked and overtime paid, accordingly.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! DeadlineMarch 31, 2023