FoodPrints Bilingual Lead Teacher FRESHFARM +4 more
- Date Posted March 18, 2023
- Location Washington, DC
- Category Education / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
FRESHFARM builds a more equitable, vibrant, sustainable, and resilient food future for the region by producing innovative solutions in partnership with local communities and organizations in the DC area. We create food access, economic development, and community building through hands-on education, farmers markets, and distribution programs. FoodPrints is FRESHFARM’s school-based food education program that aims to make positive changes in what children and their families eat by giving them hands-on experiences with growing, harvesting, cooking and eating nutritious, fresh, local foods in season. We currently operate in 20 D.C. Public Elementary Schools in Wards 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 and work in partnership with administrators and teachers to ensure that FoodPrints is a relevant, enriching program that teaches Common Core, Next Generation Science and DCPS/OSSE Health standards adapted to the unique curricular goals of each school.Job description
WHO YOU ARE:
- An experienced teacher with an ability to work with students in an academic setting & utilize and adapt curricular materials for student and class needs
- Ideally you have a combination of classroom teaching experience with preschool – 5th grade students, strong classroom management skills, as well as experience with cooking, gardening, and educating children and adults about the benefits of fresh, local, nutritious, sustainable food
- Professionally fluent in both Spanish & English
- Familiar with interdisciplinary, hands-on, student-centered learning approaches
- Excited to be a FoodPrints leader in the local public school community
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Use FoodPrints curriculum to plan and lead preschool through 5th grade classes in gardening, cooking, eating and academic content in partnership with your school
- Manage school garden and teaching kitchen/classroom
- Provide direction and supervision for interns and parent volunteers
- Assist with submission of grant reports,and complete documentation of lessons
- Order all produce and ingredients for classes on a weekly basis using online ordering systems
- Attend weekly FoodPrints team meetings and other trainings and professional development opportunities
- Join a collaborative, diverse, & supportive team passionate about food, gardening, & sustainability
- Contribute to the growth of our program as we launch FoodPrints at new partner schools
- Help FoodPrints blaze the path of food education forward through our new curriculum
PHYSICAL & OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- DCPS clearance (free of charge; FoodPrints will provide support to navigate this process as needed)
- Ability to lift, transport, or move objects up to 35 lbs & work outdoors in all weather conditions
- Access to personal smartphone required; $25/month tech reimbursement provided for use
- This role requires access to a laptop with 8GB RAM and webcam. FRESHFARM will provide a triennial stipend of $1000 to maintain or to purchase such a personal device, if needed.
- Our ideal start date for this role is early May; we’d be open to a candidate starting in mid-late June, or possibly as late as August
- This is a full-time, exempt position* compensated at $63,000 - $66,000 annual salary
- *If desired by the candidate, this position could start as part-time in May or June; full-time hours are needed by late August 2023
- The individual in this role will typically work Monday - Friday during normal school hours.
- Occasional family classes on the weekend & evenings may be scheduled by lead teachers.
- Working locations include assigned schools as well as the FRESHFARM office (1100 15th St NW, Washington, DC 20005). Occasional Professional Developments may happen at other FoodPrints schools and other relevant off-side locations.
- Starting in May, this person will be teaching a few days a week at Marie Reed Elementary; if the person wants a full-time position, they would also assist at other schools
- Summer: our summer program operates at multiple schools. This year we will be at CW Harris, Kimball and Payne and one other location. Most teachers will be assigned to one school, and a few teachers may be at two schools.
- Fall: we anticipate assigning this teacher to lead programming at one of our existing or potentially new bilingual schools; we put a tremendous amount of care & effort to place staff at a placement that will work for them!
- All full-time employees receive 72 hours annual sick leave, 11 annual holidays (8 hours each), 3 floating holidays per year, and 80 hours of annual vacation leave (with increases after 3 years of service). Also eligible for 12 weeks paid parental leave, 2 weeks prenatal leave (through DC paid family leave), and bereavement leave (as needed)
- Typically, FRESHFARM offices close for a 1 week winter break, which includes paid time-off for salaried employees.
- Eligible to enroll in 100% employer covered healthcare, as well as generous employer coverage for vision and dental and employer paid short-term and long-term disability, life insurance, AD&D and an employee assistance program (EAP).
- Eligible to contribute to a 403b plan (opt-in; roth or post-tax).
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT
FRESHFARM is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to diversity and building an equitable and inclusive workplace for people of all backgrounds and experiences. We encourage members of traditionally underrepresented groups to apply, including people of color, LGBTQ+ people, veterans, and people with disabilities. We do not discriminate, and will take affirmative action measures to prevent discrimination against any employee or job applicant on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, creed, disability, or veteran status in the following areas: (1) Employment, recruitment, or advertisements for employment, (2) Compensation, termination, upgrading, and promotions, and/or (3) Any other conditions of employment.Compensation this position is : salaried, varies DOE, $63,000.00 - $66,000.00 Application instructions Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! DeadlineApril 28, 2023