Manager, Sanctuary Cafe Farm Sanctuary
- Date Posted March 18, 2023
- Location Watkins Glen, NY
- Category Culinary / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
Farm Sanctuary was founded in 1986 to combat the abuses of factory farming, advocate for institutional reforms, and encourage a new awareness and understanding of farm animals and the benefits of cruelty-free, plant-based living. In recent years, science has confirmed the inhumane and destructive impact of animal agriculture — a food system based on interrelated oppression and injustice.
As the founding farm animal Sanctuary in the U.S., Farm Sanctuary has rescued and provided refuge for countless survivors of the animal agriculture system. Today, at Farm Sanctuary’s Los Angeles, CA and Watkins Glen, NY Sanctuaries you will find nearly 1,000 rescued animals—each with an individual story to tell. These survivors are ambassadors, representing the billions of farm animals currently in the system. They, and others like them, have changed the hearts and minds of a generation.Job description
Manager, Sanctuary Cafe
Watkins Glen, NY
Summary: The Manager of the Sanctuary Cafe is an essential member of the Sanctuary Experience management team who provides onsite operational management and oversight of the Cafe and Kitchen at Farm Sanctuary’s flagship New York Sanctuary in the Finger Lakes region. To excel in this role, the ideal candidate should have experience managing a kitchen and cafe, possess excellent time management and communication skills, and be customer-oriented and solution-driven.
- Develops recipes and assists with menu creation and pricing
- Prepares food for the Bed & Breakfast program
- Oversees and manages food preparation, inventory, and purchases
- Plans, organizes, and monitors controls to maintain high standards for food quality, presentation, and service
- Ensures cafe and staff comply with food safety regulations
- Collaborates with the Senior Director, Sanctuary Experience on administrative tasks including budgeting, reporting, record-keeping, and scheduling
- Ensures that all kitchen equipment is maintained at all times
- Assists with the development of Kitchen and Cafe standard operating procedures (in accordance with NYS health guidelines)
- Trains staff on equipment usage, food safety, and cleaning procedures
- Collaborates with the Senior Director, Sanctuary Experience with developing onsite and virtual workshops (i.e. cooking classes, health and nutrition webinars, etc.) and venue programming
- Partners with the Senior Director, Sanctuary Experience with Cafe expansion planning for 2024
- A minimum of 2 years of experience managing a kitchen and cafe
- A minimum of 4 years of vegan cooking experience in positions with increasing responsibility including line cooking and prep work
- Good time management skills; ability to handle multiple tasks, set priorities, and meet deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate effectively with co-workers, promoting a positive and supportive team environment
- Customer-oriented with exceptional communication skills, ensuring excellent service and satisfaction for guests
- Highly detail-oriented, with a keen eye for quality and presentation, and the ability to maintain accurate records and documentation
- Strong management skills, including planning, organization, and delegation, and the ability to lead and motivate a team towards achieving common goals
- Solution-driven, with the ability to think creatively, identify problems, and develop effective solutions
- Alignment with Farm Sanctuary’s values of compassion, understanding, integrity, transformation, and freedom.
- Familiarity, commitment to, and experience with the practice of equity and social justice, and the principles embedded in Farm Sanctuary’s mission
Successful applicants may not meet all of the qualifications. We encourage you to apply, even if you have a unique or non-traditional background.
- Terms of employment: Regular, exempt, full-time
- Reports to: Senior Director, Sanctuary Experience
- Direct reports: Seasonal Cafe Staff
- Location: Watkins Glen, NY
- Pay: $57,000-64,000, commensurate with experience
- Travel: None
- Benefits: Competitive benefits package, including 14 paid holidays; generous paid time off; health, dental, vision, and life insurance; 403(b) plan; flexible spending accounts; long-term disability insurance; free access to the CALM meditation app; and access to the Nivati wellness platform
- 30-minute phone interview with our recruiting team
- 45 min joint video interview with Events team members
- 60 joint joint video interview with Sanctuary Experience Team
- 60 min video with Department Head
- Reference checks- two former managers
- Job offer
Farm Sanctuary is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, or age.
The job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required for this position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Any photos or videos taken in the scope of employment and/or related to Farm Sanctuary are considered work product and intellectual property of Farm Sanctuary.Compensation this position is : salaried, 50k-75k Application instructions Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! DeadlineMarch 31, 2023