Seasonal Farm Program Assistant Pike Place Market, PDA
- Date Posted March 18, 2023
- Location Seattle, WA
- Category Business
- Job type Summer Job
Pike Place Market is a special community within the heart of Seattle’s downtown. More than the city’s beloved public market, Pike Place Market is a vibrant neighborhood comprised of hundreds of farmers, craftspeople, small businesses and residents. Each group is an important and vital makeup of the Pike Place Neighborhood.
In addition to preserving and protecting the historic buildings and character of the nine-acre historic district and serving as an incubator and supporter of farmers, artisans and small businesses, the Pike Place Market was chartered by the City of Seattle to provide services for low-income individuals.
The Pike Place Market community looks after its own through a dynamic web of organizations, social service agencies, residential advocates, and by providing affordable and low-income housing, which creates a safety net for those in our community who are the most vulnerable—low-income seniors, the disabled and the homeless.
Within the Market are social services that serve our residents, neighbors and the greater downtown Seattle community, including the Pike Market Senior Center and Food Bank, Pike Market Childcare and Preschool and Pike Market Clinic.
These services are vitally supported by the Pike Place Market Foundation and her mascot, Rachel the Piggy Bank, a life-size bronze piggybank located under the Market clock and sign. Established in 1982, The Market Foundation is a non-profit organization that supports housing and services for our low-income neighbors by fundraising, advocacy and community building.Job description
POSITION TITLE: Seasonal Farm Program Assistant
GRADE: (Full-Time Seasonal) (April –September)
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
We are looking for an enthusiastic, self-motivated, farm program assistant to work with our farm team this summer. You will work at the Pike Place Market!
REPORTS TO: Farm Program Manager
GENERAL DESCRIPTION – POSITION SUMMARY
Under the general direction of the Farm Program Manager, the Farmers Market Assistant has the primary responsibility of assisting with the operation of summer farmers markets, packing and distributing Market CSA shares and assisting with various Food Access initiatives.
SPECIFIC JOB DUTIES: [ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS]
- Assisting with the set-up/breakdown of all farmers market events (both at Pike Place and at offsite remote markets) and aid in the planning and coordination of other special events that enhance the Farm Program.
- Answer questions and assist both farmers and customers to with SNAP/Debit and other food access coupons and assist in troubleshooting any issues or improvements with the Market Commons.
- Contribute to customer education by creating CSA fresh sheets, farmer profiles, and sending weekly farmer content updates to the Pike Place Marketing Department.
- Assist with the packing and distribution of the Market’s Farm to Go CSA program. Assist with various initiatives intended to increase access for low income shoppers to locally grown fruits and vegetables.
- Assist with clerical duties as necessary.
- Support Farm team to ensure that farmers understand and are implementing safe selling techniques including social distancing, sanitization, etc.
- Support Farm team with farmer locker assignments and management.
The ability to work with diverse and independent individuals, balance control and support functions and multitask effectively in a dynamic workplace.
H.S. Diploma plus college coursework in business, agriculture, communications, or work/life equivalent.
- Agricultural and/or farmers market experience desired
- Knowledge of event planning/program planning and execution a plus
- Strong working knowledge of Windows, Microsoft Word, Access, Excel, Outlook & the Internet
- Experience in dealing with the public and the ability to maintain professional boundaries
- Excellent interpersonal skills, articulate and tactful, conflict resolution a plus
- Must have a valid WA state driver’s license (required to fulfill the essential duties of the job)
- Position requires ability to work both in a structured office setting and in outdoor market settings.
- Requires lifting up to 50 lbs. on a regular basis.
- Requires daily walks through the Market, a minimum of 3 miles per day.
- Must be willing and able to work a flexible schedule including early mornings, evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Starting Wage: $22.00 per hour
The Pike Place Market PDA is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from persons of diverse backgrounds and perspectives.Compensation this position is : hourly, $20/hr + Application instructions