Morningside Park Farmers Market Mgr Down to Earth Markets
- Date Posted June 16, 2023
- Location New York, NY
- Category Agriculture / Business
- Job type Part-Time
Morningside Park Winter Farmers Market Manager
Part-time, $19/hour position available at our Morningside Park Farmers Market on Saturdays from 7:30am-3pm located on Manhattan Avenue and 110th St in Manhattan with limited additional flexible hours outside of market day for administrative tasks.
The Farmers Market Manager oversees day-to-day operations of one of our seasonal, outdoor farmers markets in New York City or Westchester County. The manager is Down to Earth Markets' on-site representative, working closely with the company's office team to help ensure the market's success and spearhead interactions with market vendors, shoppers and the community. The Market Manager should cultivate a sense of ownership of their Farmer’s Market through:
- Supervising and managing daily operations to assure a smooth and safe running market
- Coordinating with your fellow manager at Morningside Park to create a dynamic team to cater to vendors and the community in a timely, accommodating fashion
- Enforcing market rules and regulations
- Collecting and reporting market data and success metrics
- Setting up and breaking down the market manager tent and market signage
- Selling farmers market branded items
- Taking initiative and serving as a market host to welcome and engage shoppers, promoting good relations between vendors, our company, and the shoppers as a representative of Down to Earth Markets. Assisting shoppers and vendors with use of food access, food benefits and nutrition programs (SNAP, FMNP).
- Engaging with shoppers and vendors to report successes, concerns and opportunities to Down to Earth Markets.
- Representing the farmers market at community events as needed and through grassroots flyering distributions.
- Attending weekly conference calls with fellow managers and your Operations Manager
Physical / logistical requirements:
- Able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
- Able to walk and stand for several hours at a time.
- Able to work in all weather conditions, e.g. heat, cold, rain, sun, wind, snow.
- Complete two days of shadowing in conjunction with market opening dates.
- Complete the required flyering during the course of the season.
- Arrive 1 ½ hours before the market start time to lead market set up and stay at least one hour past closing time to oversee breakdown, load out and clean up.
- Communicate regularly with Operations and Marketing to ensure a steady flow of information between the office and the markets.
- Read weekly Site Manager Update, Shopper Email and other occasional communications.
- Receive and reply to last minute market updates relayed via e-mail, text or phone.
- Respond in a timely manner to communications from the office.
- Have use of a smartphone that can install and use Microsoft Teams and ADP Mobile for market-day communications and to post to Facebook.
- Timely arrival to the market site every weekend.