General Manager Capay Valley Farm Shop
- Date Posted May 20, 2023
- Location Esparto, CA
- Category Business
- Job type Full-Time
Capay Valley Farm Shop is a farmer and community-owned business-to-business food hub located in Esparto, California. We deliver high-quality food grown by 40 farms and ranches in our agriculturally rich valley to values-driven food businesses around Northern California. Source-identified and harvested-to-order vegetables, fruits, herbs, and flowers, pastured meats and eggs, dried fruits and nuts, olive oil, grains, and honey. The farms and ranches are certified organic, Real Organic Project certified, or use organic and regenerative practices. Established in 2007, we are committed to serving our producers and customers and providing a diverse and inclusive workplace.Job description
CVFS seeks an experienced manager to assume overall responsibility for the day-to-day management of an established and growing food hub operating in a 4,000-square-foot aggregation and distribution facility that serves over 40 local farms and ranches. The General Manager supervises a dynamic team of managers to improve core services and drive the organization's next phase of post-pandemic growth. The position reports directly to the founder and President, quarterly to the Board of Directors, and annually to farmers and Shareholders.
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced, talented manager to lead CVFS forward in building and delivering value for its partner farms, customers, and community members.
- Leadership and Supervision of Management Team and employees. Sales, Sourcing, and Operations:
- Producers: Work closely with the Sourcing Manager to ensure strong partnerships with existing farmers and successful onboarding of new ones;
- Sales: Work closely with the Sales Manager to design and implement sales and marketing strategies and plans to help reach sales growth goals. Lead new initiatives to generate revenue;
- Operations: Work closely with Operations Manager to oversee all facility, product handling, and distribution-related systems and logistics. Support improvement of systems and ensure quality control;
- For all departments:
- Support hiring, onboarding, and training;
- Cross-train to provide back up coverage to managers;
- Support creation and adherence to policies and procedures to ensure smooth, efficient, and safe operations across the organization;
- Foster teamwork;
- Play active facilitation role with weekly Management Team meetings.
- Business Management and Administration: Share responsibility for profit & loss performance with an emphasis on revenue generation and expense management.
- Actively participate in financial and administrative activities, including budgeting, financial reporting, and human resources;
- Participate in the oversight, systems, and registration necessary to maintain regulatory compliance;
- Engage in the review, renewal, and administration of all business insurance policies, including general, product, facility, auto, and workers compensation.
- Systems & Reporting: Oversee and improve the systems that run all facets of the hub's activities, including product availability, order fulfillment, inventory management, cleaning, equipment and vehicle maintenance, contracts, and financial accounting.
- GM is responsible for maintaining and updating documentation of core systems to facilitate staff training and continual improvement;
- The GM meets weekly with the President and quarterly with the Board of Directors and annually with farmers and Shareholders to discuss strategy, plans, and progress.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate experience working with people in a values-based, entrepreneurial environment in the fresh food industry. Timely, accurate delivery of quality local farm products is a core competency – versed in safe and sound post-harvest food handling. Excels having ultimate responsibility for improving efficiency, increasing profitability, and managing the company’s overall operations. Business development is an essential aspect of this position, and the individual will have previous experience building relationships with agricultural producers and customers.
- Minimum 5 years of management experience (e.g. general manager, business owner, sales or operations manager) in the food and/or farm industry;
- Experience with sales and fulfillment operations preferred;
- Passionate and knowledgeable about local agriculture, food hubs, and fresh food distribution;
- Effectively manage staff, work with clients, and build relationships with farmers and local food system partners;
- Customer focused and eager to articulate the value of the services offered and committed to exceeding client's expectations;
- Entrepreneurial and solution oriented, anticipating challenges and opportunities;
- Detail-oriented, good with logistics and scheduling; and numbers-oriented, capable of managing based on values and financial performance;
- While the job entails many administrative functions, this is not a desk job: the GM needs to be hardworking, flexible, and willing to pitch in wherever and whenever extra help is needed;
- Working familiarity with computers and software including Google Workspace and Office applications;
- Valid driver's license with clean driving record.
- Lift 50 pounds and good mobility.
- Work at a computer for extended periods.
- Work outdoors in all weather.
TRAVEL AND SCHEDULE CONSIDERATIONS
Access to a car and a valid driver’s license for periodic travel throughout Northern California is required. There will be occasional work responsibilities that occur during non-regular work hours, including evenings and/or weekends.
Please submit the following to <email@example.com> with the subject line “GM Application.” All qualified candidates will be contacted via email. This position is open until filled. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with a first review date of 5/31/2023:
- A cover letter describing your interest in this position and CVFS
CVFS celebrates diversity and is committed to building teams and partnerships that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. CVFS is committed to providing an environment of mutual respect free from discrimination and harassment. CVFS prohibits discrimination in its governance and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, political beliefs, reprisal, marital status, amnesty, status as a covered veteran because all or part of an individual’s income is derived from public assistance, or for any other non-merit based factor. CVFS is committed to recruiting, training, developing, and promoting employees on the basis of individual qualifications, competence, and merit. More policies are detailed in the company's personnel policies.Compensation this position is : salaried, varies DOE, $65,000.00 - $72,000.00 Application instructions Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline