General Manager Cambridge Food Co-op
- Date Posted May 21, 2023
- Location Cambridge, NY
- Category Agriculture / Business
- Job type Full-Time
The Cambridge Food Co-op, a community-owned grocery store with 8 staff, 400 members and annual sales of 600K, seeks a General Manager. Working closely with the Board, the GM will oversee all staff and operations of the Co-op.
The Co-op is an integral part of the Cambridge community life. Located in the beautiful Battenkill Valley, Cambridge boasts amazing scenery and outdoor recreation opportunities, as well as a vibrant arts community centered in Hubbard Hall.Established in the 1970s, the Co-op has long been a feature of the Cambridge downtown and is ready to grow. With Board, staff and member support, the new GM will play a crucial role in this growth.
GENERAL MANAGER JOB DESCRIPTION
STATUS: Full Time, hourly
REPORTS TO: Board of Directors
The General Manager understands and supports the Cambridge Food Co-op’s Mission to serve our members and community by providing wholesome, affordable foods in respect for each other and our world; understands, supports, and seeks to incorporate into all the Cambridge Food Co-op’s operations the Seven Cooperative Principles as described in our By-laws. Works with the Administrative Coordinator, reports directly to the Board of Directors, is supervised by the Board President.
The General Manager will supervise and lead the management team to:
- Ensure operational excellence in all areas of the business.
- Provide consistently high levels of customer service from well-trained and helpful employees.
- Promote a thriving, ethical, sustainable, and economically sound business that benefits our members, employees, community, and stakeholders.
- Understand, support, and reinforce:
- The Co-op’s Mission
- The co-operative business model, including co-operative principles and values
- High product standards
- High customer service standards
- A positive work environment
- Maintain comprehensive knowledge of and ensure compliance with state and federal regulations governing cooperative grocery stores regarding Health & Safety.
- Act as a model for all employees, abiding by all co-op policies and procedures.
- Demonstrate cooperation and professionalism, ensuring the integrity of Cambridge Food Co-op’s values, principles, and standards in decision making and interactions with others.
- Provide policy reminders, safety instruction, workplace oversight and general support to staff.
- Identify educational development opportunities to increase the skills and knowledge of all employees.
- Approach problem solving as a collaborative team effort when appropriate.
- Schedule and attend all management team meetings. Maintain file of meeting agendas.
- Regularly review and train on procedures in the case of emergencies.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant workplace safety guidelines as established by federal and state authorities.
- Participate in preparation of capital, operating and cash budgets, for final board and member approval.
- Participate long-range planning processes with the Administrative Coordinator and Board.
- Set performance objectives for staff, managers, and departments.
With support of the Finance Committee & Bookkeeper:
- Conduct a profitable business which meets annual sales targets.
- Work with Bookkeeper to create budget and maintain accurate financial records.
- Monitor deviations from budget and take corrective actions.
- Approve budgeted capital expenditures under $1,000.
- Coordinate inventory counts.
- Negotiate terms with vendor creditors and A/P accounts.
- Strive to meet margin, labor, and other financial targets established in the Annual Budget as approved by the Board.
- Coordinate store operations and provide guidance to management team to support operational consistency, collaboration, and adherence to procedures, goals, and objectives.
- Oversee product selection, ordering, merchandising.
- Work with Administrative Coordinator and support expansions, moves, major remodels and repair and maintenance projects as requested by the Board and Building Committee.
- Oversee working member program.
- Ensure appropriate recycling practices for all waste and disposal.
- Develop purchasing guidelines are followed in all purchasing decisions.
- Develop plan for operations in case of an emergency such as fire, power outages, severe weather situations, etc.
- Scheduling all employees to ensure adequate store coverage
- Managing employee timesheets
In collaboration with the Administrative Coordinator & Personnel Committee:
- Ensure implementation of legal, equitable personnel policies.
- Hire, evaluate and compensate designated staff, following established policies.
- Ensure orientations and on-the-job training for all staff.
- Promote a safe, healthy workplace for employees.
- Establish channels for employee input and recognition.
- Ensure planning for staff development to retain and promote qualified employees.
7. Recommend pay increases for employees within budget.
8.Ensure good relations among staff, management, and board.
INDUSTRY AND COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
With support of the Member & Community Relations Committee:
- Maintain positive relations with community business organizations and agencies.
- Maintain positive relations with neighboring businesses and residents.
- Support coordination and involvement in appropriate community events.
- Maintain positive relations with other food cooperatives and support groups. Collaborating with or subscribing to when appropriate and within budget.
MARKETING/MERCHANDISING & PUBLIC RELATIONS
- Maintain a positive co-op public image. Ensure excellent relations with customers, service providers, suppliers, and distributors.
- Provide oversight/support of promotions and storewide merchandising, marketing, social media and website.
- With Marketing Manager and Board committees, support events sponsored by the Co-op.
- Ensure responsiveness to customer and member-owner suggestions and concerns.
- Act as public spokesperson as needed.
With support of the Member & Community Relations Committee:
- Ensure regular recruitment of a diverse membership which reflects the community.
- Oversee and support members through education and outreach; build/strengthen a sense of community among members. Establish and maintain ongoing cooperative and product-related education programs
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with local food organizations and partners including local farms, natural foods producers, and related community-based organizations.
- Ensure compliance member procedures and policies
- Oversee processing of new and renewing members on a regular basis.
- Ensure accuracy and security of member files, mailing lists and other member information.
- Collaborate with and support Marketing Manager in newsletter publication and member-owner communication.
BOARD Of Advisors
- Carry out Board directives and policies.
- Keep the Board informed of all pertinent matters related to the Co-op, such as impending legal actions and documented serious violations of regulatory agencies.
- Contribute information and advice in support of decision-making.
- Attend Board meetings – provide Store Report summarizing store operations, member services, and other pertinent information.
- Maintain open communication with the Board. Actively work to strengthen Board – GM relations.
- Two to five years of retail management experience, preferably in a grocery and/or cooperative business, including merchandising, marketing, and operations.
- Supervisory experience.
- Outstanding customer service skills and aptitude, with demonstrated appreciation of diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Skilled at participatory decision-making and conflict resolution; ability to take responsibility for making difficult decisions.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills: ability to speak and write clearly in English; give and receive feedback; and communicate clearly, directly, respectfully, and honestly.
- Demonstrated initiative and leadership ability to: 1) articulate a vision and create opportunities to carry out that vision; and 2) effectively build and lead a team.
- Proficiency with the use of computers, internet, Excel, Word, and retail programs.
- Availability to work early mornings, evenings and weekends if needed.
- Associates’ or Bachelors’ degree in relevant field.
- Planning and budgeting experience.
- Knowledge of natural foods and products, and organic standards.
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple demands, work under time pressures, and meet deadlines; able to prioritize, be well-organized, and adapt to changing circumstances.
- Ability to understand, interpret, and present financial data.
- Office environment is shared, busy.
- Store work environment is often fast-paced and physically demanding.
- Occasional job-related travel for training, meetings, and/or events.
- May involve work: a. near moving mechanical parts (i.e. store equipment, tools, etc.) b. in cold/hot climate areas (i.e. outdoors, walk in cooler, freezer.) c. in an environment with moderate to loud noises (i.e. equipment and machinery) d. in shared work spaces. Computer sharing may be required. e. in high precarious places (i.e. ladders, ladder work.)
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to lift 50 pounds unless restrictions apply.
- Standing, walking, bending, sitting, reaching.
- Ability to work at laptop or computer for extended periods of time.
- Use of sharp cutting instruments.
- Ability to climb up and down step stools, stairs, ladders.
- Ability to work in hot, cold, and wet climates.
- High level of maneuverability.
- Ability to stand for extended periods (up to four hours with breaks).
Compensation this position is : hourly, $20/hr + Application instructions Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline