Health Educator – CalFresh SEE-LA
- Date Posted May 24, 2023
- Location Los Angeles, CA
- Category Education / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
Founded in 1996, Sustainable Economic Enterprises of Los Angeles (SEE-LA) is a leading Southern California nonprofit organization, connecting people to healthy food, promoting economic development, and building sustainable food systems. We operate the largest network of mission-driven farmers’ markets in Los Angeles as well as programs that provide nutrition education, food access, and opportunities for small regional farms and local food businesses to thrive.
Our programs include:
• Operating a network of community-based certified farmers’ markets in Los Angeles.
• Piloting and championing programs that stretch public nutrition benefits for the purchase of fresh, nutrient-rich food.
• Providing extensive nutrition education programs to low-income families and to children in underserved schools.
• Coordinating food relief for local families struggling with food insecurity
SEE-LA is currently seeking a dynamic individual to provide leadership and support in the teaching of nutrition education and physical activity classes for its highly acclaimed Pompea Smith Good Cooking/ Buena Cocina Nutrition Education Program.
SEE-LA has contracted with the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health’s (LACDPH) CalFresh Healthy Living program to offer nutrition education and physical activity classes for low-income, SNAP-eligible individuals and families within the Los Angeles project service area. SEE-LA serves a predominately, 90%, Spanish speaking population, written and verbal communication in Spanish is required. The Health Educator will be responsible for the implementation of virtual and hands-on teaching of bilingual nutrition, culinary, and physical activity classes as well as assist with other primary goals within the program’s scope of work such as participation in events, program outreach, data collection and input, and program evaluation measures. Annually, the Health Educator team will instruct, at minimum, 94 bilingual adult nutrition education classes, 36 youth (4th-5th grade) nutrition education classes, and 30 bilingual physical activity classes.
this position is : hourly, $20/hr +
The CalFresh Healthy Living program is a grant funded position and as such is time limited and funded through the end of September 2024. There is a possibility of extension if additional grant funding is secured. The position is a hybrid remote and in-person role. The position will require in-person attendance for scheduled meetings or assigned days at SEE-LA’s main office, nutrition and physical activity classes and events at schools within the Lawndale Elementary School District, Los Angeles County Parks, and community-based sites within Los Angeles County. The ideal candidate is flexible, a fast learner, thrives in a fast-paced and structured environment, enjoys teaching varied audiences, and is passionate about nutrition education, physical activity, and the promotion of local California farmers.
• Bilingual English/ Spanish, written and verbal required;
• A minimum of 2 years of professional teaching, nutrition education and food preparation experience;
• Experience facilitating physical activity sessions;
• Familiarity with MyPlate and the most recent USDA Dietary Guidelines for Americans;
• Working knowledge of Food Safety regulations, ServSafe Certification Required (can be attained upon hiring);
• Reliable, self-driven, and ability to follow clear directives with minimal supervision;
• Excellent interpersonal skills - comfortable working with diverse groups of people and engaging families in an interactive class setting;
• Excels at public speaking & providing presentations to a group of up to 40 people;
• Ability to operate within tight deadlines and produce exemplary work with high level of attention to detail;
• Works cooperatively and supportively with staff, volunteers, participants, etc.;
• Ability to reliably communicate via E-mail and phone;
• Demonstrated instances of leadership within his/her career &/or within the community;
• Must have reliable transportation with valid California Driver’s License and self-insured vehicle (the position will be traveling throughout LA County and transporting materials and supplies).
• Experience teaching virtual classes via zoom or other virtual platform a plus;
• Certified Zumba, Yoga, or other physical activity instruction a plus;
• Mastery in Microsoft Office Suite including Excel, PowerPoint, & Word, and Internet Applications;
• Ability to learn new digital platforms quickly as program frequently requires use of Monday.com and Canva; Responsibilities
• Become fully versed in CalFresh Healthy Living project goals, objectives, activities, and expected outcomes;
• Become fully versed and lead classes using SNAP-Ed approved curriculum;
• Perform independently and as a team for class set-up, instruction, break-down, outreach, and recruitment activities;
• During the project period, as part of a team, achieve the grant objectives of conducting the specified amount of classes to reach a specified number of class participants;
• Participate in outreach and promotional activities which may include but are not limited to health/community fairs and events; • Responsible for maintenance of files, records, intake information, pre & post tests and surveys for each site;
• Ensure a safe, professional and interactive environment for the hands-on cooking classes and physical activity classes;
Compensation & Benefits
• Market competitive salary, dependent on experience
• Employer-covered Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance Coverage upon completion of 90-day probationary period
• 160 hrs Paid Time Off / year for first two years (increases year 3) plus 14.5 Holidays
• Employee Assistance Program
• Option for 403b Retirement Plan