Director of Culinary and Catering Inter-Faith Food Shuttle
- Date Posted May 25, 2023
- Location Raleigh, NC
- Category Culinary / Education
- Job type Full-Time
Inter-Faith Food Shuttle envisions a hunger free community. We feed our neighbors, teach self-sufficiency, grow healthy food, and cultivate innovative approaches to end hunger. As a member of Feeding America, the Food Shuttle distributes over 9 million pounds of food per year, 37% of which is fresh produce. From Grocery Bags for Seniors, BackPack Buddies, and School Pantries; to Community Health Education and Mobile Markets; Catering and Culinary Job Training; and Community Gardening and a 14-Acre Farm; we go directly to the point of need to empower people and overcome the burden of hunger.Job description
The Director of Culinary and Catering is responsible for guiding and directing a full service culinary and catering staff. Additionally, the Director will play a key role in the training of participants in the Culinary Apprenticeship Program.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage daily operations and services of industrial kitchen which includes production, agency meal service, safety and sanitation, inventory, food prep, cooking, and culinary presentation.
- Guide and direct the culinary and catering staff, ensuring the performance evaluations are completed and performance feedback is provided.
- Works closely with the Food Truck Manager on client proposal meetings and food tastings for catering events.
- Directs the culinary staff on food prepared for external and internal clients.
- Secures appropriate food from local vendors and negotiates contracts to ensure budget guidelines are met.
- Provides culinary skills training for Culinary Apprenticeship Program participants, working closely with HR to ensure participant needs are met.
- Commit to the Food Shuttle mission and apply our Core Values. We feed our neighbors, teach self-sufficiency, grow healthy foods, and cultivate innovative approaches to end hunger. Our core values are respect, integrity, collaborate, health, equity, and serve.
- Graduate of a Culinary Arts Program or minimum of 3 years’ experience as a Chef or Dining Director in a high-volume culinary environment, i.e., restaurant, school, etc.
- Demonstrated experience in menu planning to include nutritional value, cost and inventory control is a most.
- Financial acumen in keeping within budget.
- Experience with determining food and labor costs and maintaining established margins.
- Availability for occasional evening and weekend work
- Must be a hands-on trainer, team motivator and able to build solid relationships.
- Managing Change: The ability to demonstrate support for innovation and for organizational changes needed to improve the organization’s effectiveness; initiating, sponsoring, and implementing organizational change; helping others to successfully manage organizational change.
- Providing Motivational Support: The ability to enhance others’ commitment to their work.
- Fostering Teamwork: As a team leader, the ability to demonstrate interest, skill, and success in getting groups to learn to work together.
- Developing Others: The ability to delegate responsibility and to work with others and coach them to develop their capabilities.
- Flexibility: Openness to different and new ways of doing things; willingness to modify one’s preferred way of doing things.
Most work is performed inside a commercial kitchen environment, Food Truck or at off-site catering events.
Computer work in an office setting
Flexible work schedule with some evening and weekend work required.
Frequently required to stand, walk, bend, stoop, or sit for long periods of time.
Must be able to lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
Food Truck Manager, Production ManagerCompensation this position is : salaried, 50k-75k Application instructions