Farm Crew Aeonian Farm
- Date Posted May 25, 2023
- Location Westport, MA
- Category Agriculture
- Job type Full-Time
We grow on about 1 acre, most of which is devoted to diversified annual vegetables with an expanding cut flower enterprise. We have four unheated high tunnels on the farm which we use to grow year round. We sell to farmers markets and a local grocery store throughout the year.
On our farm we grow intensively in order to maximize the productive potential of the limited space available to us. In order to achieve this level of production we prioritize using human scale tools that offer flexibility and efficiency while minimizing the unnatural disturbance of our soil.
We are looking for reliable, hardworking individuals interested in farming to join our team this year. This is a unique opportunity for someone interested in learning the intricacies of small scale, intensive agriculture.Job description
Hours: Work begins in June and lasts until the end of October, possibly through November. Work days will start at 7/8 AM and end at 4/5 PM, Monday - Friday, depending on the season. Lunch is one hour, unpaid. Help at our weekend farmers market will be needed and farm crew will alternate work on Saturdays, approximately 6 AM to 3 PM. Whoever works the market on Saturday will get the next Monday off.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Field work/Crop production: participate in all aspects of field management including soil amending, bed preparation, transplanting, weed management, harvesting and bed flipping. Some pest management, propagation, pruning and trellising work as needed.
- Harvest: Weekly harvests of produce for our farmers markets. We take quality very seriously on the farm, so close attention and care will need to be paid to quality of produce and efficiency of harvest.
- Post-harvest: ensure that all produce is washed and cooled with care and efficiency, paying close attention to quality control. Maintain a clean and organized wash station and walk-in cooler.
- Farmers market: Create a welcoming and cheerful environment for customers. Be able to speak with passion and experience about the produce, our growing practices and share recipe ideas.
- Other: Infrastructure projects including greenhouse repairs, road maintenance, tool maintenance, fence work, etc.
- Have an interest in farming, and desire to learn the ins and outs of diversified, small-scale organic vegetable production.
- Must be able to lift 50lbs repeatedly, should be in fit physical condition.
- Must be able to walk, stand, squat, and kneel for extended periods.
- Must be willing to work outdoors in all types of weather.
- Good communication and listening skills, able to follow instructions when given.
- Openness to receive and share constructive criticism.
- Understands the importance of following systems and working efficiently.
- Attention to detail.
- Works well independently and with others. Can maintain focus and work efficiently while working solo or with others.
- Reliable means of arriving at work on time.
- Some previous experience in vegetable farming is preferred, but not required.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! DeadlineJuly 31, 2023