Executive Assistant to the President Deep Springs College +1 more
- Date Posted August 15, 2023
- Location Big Pine, CA
- Category Education / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
Deep Springs College is a private, nonsectarian, fully accredited, two-year college program for academically-gifted young people, located on a small cattle-and- alfalfa ranch in a beautiful, remote area of the White Mountains on the California-Nevada border. 24-30 students attend. Watch the 2022 60 Minutes profile about Deep Springs College.
The program, founded in 1917, combines rigorous academic coursework with a minimum of 20 hours of physical labor each week. Students milk cows, wash dishes, assist in the office, cook, clean, make hay, and tend to cattle, horses and gardens.
All members of the Deep Springs community—the students, faculty, staff, president, and resident families—live on-site and take part in fostering and developing community life, at the same time respecting each others' need for privacy. Room and board is provided for all employees as part of a robust benefits package.
Deep Springs is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religion, national origin, religion, age, or disability. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
The college is located in California's Eastern Sierra region on Highway 168, 26 miles east of Big Pine, California, 11 miles from the Nevada state line. Death Valley National Park and the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest are directly adjacent to the College, and Yosemite National Park, Mono Lake, the Buttermilks, and Mammoth and are all within a few hours’ drive. Los Angeles is a 5-hour drive away, Las Vegas is 3.5 hours; and the San Francisco Bay Area is 7-8 hours depending on the season.Job description
Deep Springs College, a unique educational institution in the high desert of Eastern California, is seeking a detail-oriented, organized, and highly motivated Executive Assistant to support the administrative functions of our community.
The Executive Assistant is a key player in our college's operations and supports the college's mission of preparing leaders for a life of service to humanity. The Executive Assistant reports directly to the President and Vice President and may also provide administrative support to the Operations Manager.
As the Executive Assistant at Deep Springs College, you will be an integral part of the college’s operations and academic life, extending beyond the traditional administrative tasks. You will bring order and efficiency to our financial and administrative systems, creating a seamless workflow that allows all components of the college to function optimally.
- Administrative Support: Provide general administrative support to the President as well as the Dean and Operations Manager as needed. This may include coordinating meetings, research tasks, and maintaining an organized and efficient office environment.
- External Communications: Manage all general external communication. This includes answering phone calls, sorting and distributing mail, and handling the general college email inbox. Act as the primary point of contact for outside queries and direct them appropriately.
- Accounts Management: Oversee the accounts payable and receivable. This includes issuing invoices, following up on outstanding payments, and processing incoming payments. Ensure all transactions are recorded accurately and timely in the college's accounting system.
- Internal Accounts System Management: Manage the internal accounts system. This includes maintaining accurate and up-to-date records of all financial transactions, preparing internal financial reports, and assisting with budget preparation and audits.
- Digitization and Records Management: Take the lead in our transition to an electronic records system. This includes digitizing administrative files, setting up and managing a new electronic records system, and ensuring that all digitized records are accurate, complete, and easily accessible.
- Organization and Oversight of the Main College Building: Oversee the student labor positions responsible for the College main building to ensure a clean, organized, and professional working environment.
- Other duties as assigned: As part of a small and dynamic community, the Executive Assistant may occasionally be called upon to assist with tasks outside of their primary responsibilities.
The Executive Assistant, like all Deep Springs staff positions, may be required to spend some of their working time on a governance committee for the college, e.g. the applications committee. They may also have the opportunity, should they so choose, to offer an independent study or small class.
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field or equivalent experience, with preference for experience in office management, particularly in an educational setting.
- Experience in managing accounts payable and receivable, and proficiency with accounting software.
- Experience with electronic records management systems and digital transition projects.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Exceptional organizational and time-management skills.
- Proficiency in MS Office suite and experience with database management.
- Adaptable, problem-solving mindset and discretion with sensitive information.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to thrive in a unique, remote educational community.
Deep Springs values diversity and encourages individuals with various experiences and backgrounds to apply.
The ideal candidate for the Executive Assistant position will have strong organizational skills, excellent communication abilities, a keen eye for detail, and a deep commitment to supporting Deep Springs College's mission and community. Experience with digital records management, accounts payable/receivable, and general office management is highly desired. The candidate must be comfortable working in a remote setting and thrive in a unique, self-reliant, and intellectually vibrant community.
Working at Deep Springs College offers rewarding experiences beyond the scope of individual roles. Staff members not only manage their respective responsibilities but also interact with students, providing guidance in their studies, work, and communal decision-making. Staff also set high behavioral and communicative standards, participate in campus events, and collaborate on problem-solving and improvements. This unique, intimate setting is often considered a rare privilege and enriching aspect of professional life.
This position is a five-day work week but candidates must be flexible for “on call situations,” emergencies, and special events such as (but not limited to) extraordinary projects, board meetings, and reunions.
The Executive Assistant position offers the following outstanding benefits:
- On-site housing
- Paid utilities
- Meals provided
- Health, vision, and dental insurance
- Above-average PTO allowance (starting at 27 days)
- Substantial retirement contribution
- Professional development funding and opportunities
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, alongside the opportunity to live and work in a distinctive educational environment. Here, you can have a meaningful and singular impact.
The salary range for the Executive Assistant is $65,000 - 80,000, dependent on experience.
We are open to candidates early in their career with the potential to fully grow into this role as well as experienced professionals ready to quickly master every element of this position.Compensation this position is : salaried, 50k-75k Application instructions