Chef Educator Chefs for Impact +2 more
- Date Posted August 28, 2023
- Location New York, NY
- Category Culinary / Education
- Job type Part-Time
About The Position
We are seeking a dedicated and creative part-time Chef Educator to join our dynamic team, bringing culinary expertise and educational passion to our youth-focused programs. The Chef Educator will play a crucial role in teaching engaging lessons, fostering culinary skills, and inspiring a love for food sustainability and nutrition among students. The position is between 15 - 20 hours per week.
- Lead engaging culinary lessons to a diverse range of students, ages 6-18, in partner schools.
- Implement thoughtfully designed lesson plans, catering to class size variations (10-20 students).
- Cultivate a positive learning environment that encourages curiosity, creativity, and active participation.
- Utilize effective teaching strategies to ensure understanding and retention of essential concepts.
Reporting and Evaluation:
- Complete accurate and detailed weekly reports on class activities, lesson plans, and key performance indicators (KPIs).
- Collaborate with program coordinators to assess the effectiveness of lesson plans and make improvements as needed.
Logistics and Preparation:
- Manage the transportation of supplies, ingredients, and equipment to and from our HQ (Nimbus) for each workshop.
- Organize your Chef Kit for each class, ensuring all necessary materials are readily available.
Supply Management and Collaboration:
- Request supplies as necessary to maintain high-quality instructional materials.
- Collaborate with the team to contribute ideas and insights for curriculum enhancements.
- Assist in maintaining inventory and promptly report any shortages or needs.
Requirements & Job Conditions:
- Availability to teach 3-4 classes per week during regular school hours (Roughly 20hrs/week)
- Position is based in the Lower East Side but will require travel to partner sites (ranging from 15min - 1hr away). Must be able and ready to facilitate the transportation of supplies and equipment between our HQ and partner schools.
- Flexibility to adapt to changing schedules and engage with various age groups effectively.
- Must have a food handlers certificate or be willing to apply for it.
- Must have CPR training or be willing to complete certification.
- The ideal candidate should be available to work weekdays and have relative flexibility to adapt to changing schedule needs.
- Unlimited monthly metro-card
- 35 days off during school vacation (not paid)
- 5 paid sick days
- Opportunity to make a lasting impact on the culinary education and food sustainability awareness of youth.
- Collaborative and supportive team environment.
- Professional development opportunities to enhance teaching skills and culinary expertise.
Qualifications and Experience Required for Chef Educator Position:
- Culinary training or equivalent professional experience, with a strong passion for food sustainability and nutrition.
- Knowledge of culinary techniques, cooking methods, and ingredient handling.
- Mastery of food safety and sanitation practices to ensure a safe learning environment.
- Teaching experience, especially in diverse age groups, is a distinct advantage.
- Effective teaching methods tailored to various age groups (ages 6-18).
- Ability to convey culinary concepts in a clear and engaging manner.
- Skillful classroom management to encourage active participation and maintain a positive atmosphere.
Adaptability and Flexibility:
- Ability to adapt teaching methods for different learning styles and classroom sizes.
- Flexibility to adjust to changing schedules and unforeseen challenges.
- Clear and concise communication, both written and verbal, in reporting and collaborating with team members.
- Ability to provide constructive feedback to students and adapt based on their progress.
- Quick thinking to address unexpected classroom challenges and adjust lesson plans as needed.
- Resourcefulness in finding solutions to logistical issues.
- Problem-solving skills and adaptability to meet the unique challenges of teaching culinary arts to youth.
- Team player mentality to contribute to curriculum enhancement discussions and share insights.
- Effective collaboration with program coordinators and fellow educators.
Attention to Detail:
- Thoroughness in organizing Chef Kits and ensuring all necessary materials are prepared.
- Detail-oriented approach in maintaining accurate records and reports.
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational abilities, ensuring smooth logistics and preparation.
Passion for Food Sustainability:
- Genuine interest in promoting food sustainability and nutrition education among youth.
- Enthusiasm for inspiring a love for cooking and awareness of food sources.
- Efficient time management skills to ensure on-time class preparation and delivery.
- Punctuality in adhering to class schedules and commitments.
- Positive demeanor to foster an encouraging and supportive learning environment.
- Patience in guiding students through culinary processes and challenges.
- Positive attitude, enthusiasm, and a strong commitment to fostering a love for culinary arts among students.
Note: This list of skills is not exhaustive and may vary based on specific program requirements and organization preferences. The ideal candidate should possess a combination of these skills to excel in the role of a Chef Educator.
If you're a passionate culinary professional with a desire to inspire young minds through engaging education, we encourage you to apply for this rewarding Chef Educator position. Join us in nurturing the culinary talents and sustainability awareness of the next generation.Compensation this position is : hourly, $20/hr + Application instructions Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline