Teach Kids Cooking Allergic to Salad
- Date Posted August 28, 2023
- Location New York, NY
- Category Education
- Job type Part-Time
We realize many claim they are “allergic to salad”– a convenient and understandable excuse in this era of pre-packaged industrialized food. Our work combats this widespread “allergy,” while increasing skills, technique, and familiarity with healthy foods, and creating a platform for a lifetime of adventurous eating through activity-filled classes. Job description
Are you passionate about cooking, healthy eating and educating children? Join the Allergic to Salad team!
This is an IN PERSON position teaching children cooking at school-based AFTER-SCHOOL programs across NYC. Locations vary, including BRONX, BROOKLYN, MANHATTAN, QUEENS, and STATEN ISLAND. (All borough locations/availability should apply!)
ROLLING BASES: We are actively hiring for the 2023-2024 School Year (Sept - June)! With high chance extension into Summer 2024 and the next school year if you enjoy the work.
FLEXIBLE! Educators pick their schedule/location 1 to 5 days a week. School year classes are held 3:00-6:00 PM.
Allergic to Salad is seeking reliable, self-motivated, independent, fun-loving and child-loving part-time youth food educators to join our team. The youth food educators work closely with Allergic to Salad founder and director, Stacey Ornstein and ATS’s program officer, with potential for growth into independent self-led positions. This person(s) is responsible for leading and/or assisting kids cooking events (classes, parties and special events). Classes are in various locations around the city.
Candidate should be a highly reliable, on time, good, clear communicator, flexible and positive team player, outspoken and comfortable working with children, and comfortable working independently leading a class of students. Opinions regarding issues around food access, food justice and local foods a big plus. A knowledge of, and willingness to teach a variety of cuisines, as well as an ability to “cook on the fly” if needed.
At least 2 years working with children highly preferred.
Culinary degree NOT necessary.
Food Protection certificate and/or Food Handling license recommended, but not required.
Note that payment is PER CLASS, not hour. Base payment is $85 PER one-hour CLASS. Longer classes are paid at a higher rate. Educators are responsible for food purchases, averaging $15-20 per class, and should factor set up for class (about 20 minutes) and clean up post class (about 20 minutes) as part of base rate. (Take home pay, post food purchase and figuring for class set up and clean up tends break down to approx. $20-25/ HOUR.) Many back-to-back classes are available. There are certain bonus rates (above base pay) based on location, as well as number of days worked.
- Leading kids' cooking classes, for children aged 4 to 16.
- Prep for classes: purchasing groceries and prepping/cleaning, as necessary.
- Clean up: must leave locations in condition found, or cleaner.
- Lead, supervise and aid children during cooking while building a discourse on relevant food topics.
- Build and maintain positive relationships with both parents and children.
- Follow up after classes with Allergic to Salad and Site Director.
- Maintain a positive, safe, supportive and welcoming environment.
Knowledge & Experience:
- Classroom management skills necessary.
- Highly reliable, self-motivated, independent, motivational
- Fun-loving and kid-loving a must.
- Some teaching background preferred, but experience w kids necessary
- Basic kitchen/cooking and food knowledge—can explain these concepts to children.
- Strong communication skills
- Knowledge of, or ability to quickly learn basic computer programs (Google Drive)
- Organized with an attention to detail.
- Flexible, with ability to improvise, if needed.
- Candidate may be in the process of completing a Bachelor’s Degree, Culinary Degree, or having completed either/both, tho culinary degree is not necessary.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline