Culinary Manager Drive Change Inc.
- Date Posted September 13, 2023
- Location Brooklyn, NY
- Category Culinary / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
Education: I am committed to my own growth and education. I commit to learning about the issues, systems, historical and current, that affect the food system and American Legal System.
Innovation: I continually look for ways to approach our work through innovation and creativity. I bring new ideas, question the status quo and am committed to being part of the solution.
Hospitality: I approach all members of our DC community with care, empathy and a desire to connect and meet them where they are at.
Courage: I am committed to taking action in order to center equity and justice in our work and collective mission.Collective Accountability: I give and ask for feedback consistently and with an open mind. I understand that feedback is a gift and investment in personal and professional growth. I hold myself and others accountable to our values. Job description About the Culinary Manager Position
The Culinary Manager is an Educator and Manager. The Culinary Manager transforms the kitchen into a learning environment that develops culinary skills and an understanding of kitchen systems while supporting a Fellows’ social-emotional growth. The Culinary Manager is responsible for managing the Drive Change kitchen and food truck and facilitating the culinary curriculum. The Culinary Manager is responsible for setting a high quality standard for kitchen operations and mentoring the fellows in the program.
Additionally, the Culinary Manager creates a dynamic menu that is culturally appropriate, healthy, cost-effective, and seasonal, serving as the foundation for all public-facing outreach via the Drive Change food truck and at industry events.
Provide Collaborative Management and Leadership in Programming
● Administer, operate, and deliver services for the Fellowship Program, taking the lead in all aspects of culinary training
● Ensure that job training curricula align with employer needs and current skill demands
● Lead the development and delivery of culinary program curricula, preparing fellows for success in the hospitality industry
● Enhance and refine the culinary job training curriculum in partnership with the Fellowship and Alumni Manager
● Work closely with the Manager of Employer and Strategic Partnership to position members effectively for job placement
● Manage all program logistics to ensure seamless in-person and virtual training operations
● Track success metrics, collaborating with the Chief Program Officer to collect data and share fellows' success stories
Support Social-Emotional Growth, Development and Management of Team
● Provide comprehensive culinary training and mentorship to the culinary team, including the Culinary Assistant, with a focus on fostering their professional growth
● Offer guidance and support to other kitchen staff, including former fellows, in their culinary development
● Cultivate a supportive learning environment that encourages team members to take risks, explore new culinary techniques, and develop critical thinking skills
● Actively engage in diversity, equity, and inclusion principles, fostering a culture of understanding, empathy, and respect within the kitchen team
Provide Effective Management and Organizational Leadership
● Be an integral member of the Drive Change Leadership team, offering strategic insights to the Executive team on operations and strategic planning, contributing to a collaborative and caring organizational culture
● Lead and mentor high-performing teams
● Ensure efficient internal communication, collaboration, and a culture aligned with diversity, equity, and inclusion principles
Ensure Compliance with Labor and NYC DOHMH Standards
● Adhere to all NYC DOMH facility compliance and food handling regulations
● Collaborate with the Fellowship team to ensure compliance with labor standards, including daily breaks and accurate timekeeping
Manage and Report on Program Budget, including CARE Events
● Regularly report on program expenses and diligently track all costs and expenditures, partly for educational purposes
● Take ownership of the Kitchen Budget, ensuring a comprehensive understanding of the P&L
● Mentor and educate the Culinary Assistant on P&L management to facilitate growth and learning
● Identify and recommend vendors that allow us to remain within budget and match our values
● 3+ years of professional restaurant/food service experience
● 2+ years of management experience
● Driver's License required to operate food truck
● NYC DOHMH Food Handlers License
● Proficiency with Google Suite and Zoom
● Problem-solving abilities that can build processes and find and implement actions for improvements
● Highly organized, with attention to detail and the ability to meet deadlines
● Passionate about food, reimagining criminal justice, and building ethical food systems
● The Culinary Manager position is a full time, in-person, salary/exempt role. Hours worked will be weekdays flexible to accommodate fellowship needs and event dates. Evening and/or weekend work may be required on occasion.
● The office location for this position is Brooklyn, New York. Compensation this position is : salaried, 50k-75k Application instructions Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! DeadlineOctober 27, 2023