Site Coordinator Brooklyn Harvest Home Farmer's Market
- Date Posted September 13, 2023
- Location Brooklyn, NY
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job type Summer Job
Harvest Home Farmer’s Market provides low-income communities with access to farm fresh local produce and the education to achieve healthier lifestyles.Job description
JOB TYPE: Part time - Seasonal
SCHEDULE: Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
HOURS: 7AM - 3PM (1hr lunch break)
The Site Coordinator will manage assigned farmers’ market(s) locations for the duration of the market season, June – November. Coordinators are expected to work outside, rain or shine, and ensure the market is ready for shoppers from time of opening to closing. In addition to general operations and fielding community questions, Site Coordinators are responsible for maintaining all market paperwork, processing all payments, managing all nutrition incentives such as Health Bucks, Senior Coupons, and collecting farmer and vendor payments.
RESPONSIBITIES AND DUTIES (include but are not limited to):
- Coordinate and facilitate the daily set-up of farmers and vendors at market locations.
- Ensure that the site is clean and well maintained prior to opening and at the close of the market day. If needed, the Site Coordinator will assist in clearing debris to facilitate set-up by farmers and vendors.
- Ensure parking is available for farmers/vendors by handling parking issues and street closures, calling tow trucks when necessary.
- Enforce market documentation requirements, stall assignments and grievance procedures as outlined in the “Market Operating Procedures”.
- Work with farmers to help maximize revenue opportunities and ensure compliance. Take ownership of the market and foster a sense of pride in the community.
- Process payment transactions (SNAP/EBT, Debit and Credit). Prepare and submit reports daily.
- Maintain safekeeping of all market supplies included but not limited to; reporting forms, signs, banners, flyers provided.
- Carry out at market and off-site outreach that may include setup of literature/information tables, conduct customer count surveys.
- Provide direct assistance to farmers and customers at the market site as needed.
- Reliable, punctual and willing to commit to the entire market season (June – November)
- Dynamic personality, strong customer service skills (and experience), interpersonal and communication skills
- Ideal candidates will have some knowledge about regionally-grown fruit and vegetables, including growing seasons (NOT required)
- Ability to work in multi-cultural settings with racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic diversity
- Willing and able to stand and walk for long periods of time and work outdoors
- Does not shy away from the heat/cold or wind/rain (we cannot emphasize this enough!)
- Has patience for some change in routine (i.e.: unreliable weather)
- Ability to speak other languages is a plus! (Spanish, French, Creole, Mandarin, Cantonese, Bengali, and Russian)
- Commitment to a minimum of 3 days per week, 8 hours per day, for the entirety of the season
Hourly Wage: $20/hourCompensation this position is : hourly, varies DOE, $20.00 - $20.00 Application instructions