Senior Editor, News & Features Apartment Therapy Media - The Kitchn
- Date Posted September 18, 2023
- Location New York, NY
- Category Media
- Job type Full-Time
Apartment Therapy Media helps people live happily and healthily in their homes. Since Maxwell Ryan founded Apartment Therapy in 2004, it has become an award-winning authority of design inspiration and real-life home solutions while Kitchn has earned its place as the go-to resource for home cooks looking to plan and prep better meals for their families. Recently, we launched Cubby (CubbyAtHome.com) as the third property in our network, focusing on parenting and life with kids at home. Together, the three sites reach over 650 million people every month across all platforms and we have more than 125 people working from across the U.S. (and even internationally!), in addition to our sunny NYC office & studio.
The Kitchn is looking for a Senior Editor, News & Features to join our team. We are seeking someone who, under the direction of senior editorial leadership, can oversee news, trending content, and feature stories on food culture for The Kitchn.
This person is responsible for identifying quick-hit, traffic-driving stories that will resonate with the internet and developing and overseeing a team of contributors who tell them in ways that are full of voice, authority, and strong editorial judgment. Understanding traffic patterns and trends is must, as is staying nimble and following the continuously changing digital landscape.
As Senior Editor of News & Features, this person will retool the brand’s existing news content strategy and identify new coverage opportunities. They will also lead feature stories that tap into the larger conversation about food and how we experience it.
- Oversee strategy for news and trending content, working closely with each vertical editor to identify and assign ~20 stories per week that will resonate with The Kitchn audience and hit traffic goals
- Work closely with the editorial operations team to publish content
- Create and manage content lineups, including important releases, launches, and affinity months
- Identify feature story opportunities and oversee pitching, assigning, and executing with art team
- Work closely with the SEO team to identify opportunities for new and archive food news coverage
- Manage a freelance budget and freelance team of strong writers
- Monitor and respond to content performance to sharpen pitches, ideate new opportunities, and grow traffic
- Help brainstorm brand-defining tentpoles and initiatives for the site
- Attend in-person and online events on behalf of The Kitchn
- 5-7 years experience in digital media and/or publishing with a focus on trending, timely content and/or food content
- Experience in editing both news stories and more in-depth features for accuracy and voice
- Excellent editorial judgment and ability to turn around polished copy on tight deadlines
- Ability to provide constructive feedback to writers
- An astute awareness of internet trends and what’s happening within the cultural food zeitgeist and the ability to apply The Kitchn lens to those conversations
- Top-notch organizational, problem-solving, and time management skills
- Experience using analytics tools such as Parse.ly and Google Analytics to inform strategy, as well as a curiosity to learn more
- Ability to balance multiple priorities and to quickly adjust strategy and execution in the face of new information
- A team player with a desire to collaborate across teams
Salary Range: $80,000 - 90,000
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline