18th St. Chef and Culinary Manager 18 Reasons
- Date Posted September 21, 2023
- Location San Francisco, CA
- Category Culinary / Education
- Job type Full-Time
You have developed your culinary skills in a professional setting, and have a passion for teaching and building community. You are curious, generous, and love learning and sharing knowledge with others. You are warm, gracious, calm under pressure, flexible, and committed to great service. You are supremely organized and plan ahead in great detail. You are passionate about food, both on and off the job
At 18 Reasons, you will have the opportunity to design and teach classes to the general public at our physical cooking school in the SF Mission District, covering everything from Basic Knife Skills to Cooking Fundamentals to the wildest, most fun classes you can think of (check out our calendar for inspiration). You will also cook seasonal dinners in partnership with chefs, farmers, and winemakers.
This job requires evening and weekend work in our San Francisco classroom, and evening shifts typically wrap up between 10 and 11pm. Your typical schedule will include two days of planning and admin work and three days in the classroom, either teaching or managing classes taught by other chefs.
The 18th St Chef & Culinary Manager shall perform the following tasks or duties:
- Teach 1-2 weekly culinary education classes
- Cook monthly producer dinners or community dinners
- Plan your classes (write timelines, order ingredients, test recipes)
- Host, open, close 1-2 weekly classes taught by guest chefs
- Brainstorm class ideas with other core culinary instructors
- Plan and implement trainings for volunteers and other culinary instructors
- Work with Program Director on planning of classes
- Build and maintain relationships with potential instructors, producers, members, volunteers within the greater Bay Area community
- Plan and cook dinners for private clients (1 x month average)
- At least three years of restaurant or food business experience in a responsible culinary role
- Teaching experience (preferably in a culinary setting)
- Comfortable working in a public facing role
- A passion for community, education, and food
- Must be available for evening and weekend work
- This position requires being in the classroom 70% of the time and working in an office setting 30% of the time.
- Must be able to stand for at least 8 hours
- While in the classroom, frequent lifting, moving, or carrying supplies up to 50 pounds is required. General office duties include: computer work, phone communication, copying. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable any qualified person to perform the essential job duties.
Classification & Compensation
- This is a full time, salaried position. 18 Reasons has an equitable and transparent compensation policy; we do not negotiate salaries. To read more about our compensation philosophy, click here. The salary will be set by the number of years of experience the candidate has in a similar position (Manager level or above):
Tier 1 (0-2 years experience) $74,000
Tier 2 (3-5 years experience) $78,000
Tier 3 (6+ years experience) $82,000
- Benefits include 100% employer-paid health, vision, and dental insurance, IRA matching up to 3%, 12 holidays, 4 weeks PTO, two weeks of paid office closures (December and July), and a 25% discount at Bi-Rite Market.
- You will report to the 18th St. Program Director, who is responsible for planning our entire calendar of public and private programming.
Compensation this position is : salaried, 75k-100k Application instructions