Children's Cooking Instructor Rainy Day Dinner Club
- Date Posted October 11, 2023
- Location Seattle, WA
- Category Culinary / Education
- Job type Part-Time
Rainy Day Dinner Club is an after-school program for elementary and middle school students in the Seattle and Greater Eastside neighborhoods. In our cooking classes, kids learn basic cooking skills while making dinner for their family!
Our Mission is to cultivate enthusiasm for cooking and build a positive culture around family meals! We use the perspective of food, cooking, and nutrition to learn about geography, math, science, and culture, while helping kids develop a life-long love of fresh ingredients and vegetables.Job description
Children's Cooking Instructor
Our goal is to share our love for cooking and help students develop a new relationship with fresh ingredients and vegetables in a realistic and attainable way. We work to build students’ basic cooking skills while they make and bring home dinner for their family!
Cooking and baking experience can be minimal, but the desire to work with groups of children is an absolute must! You must be enthusiastic, cheerful, and dependable, with your own reliable transportation.
Desired qualifications and experience:
- Looking for someone who is organized, has strong classroom management skills, and a love of teaching.
- Experience working with 10-14 kids in a group setting of mixed grades, 1st - 6th.
- Be able to follow a lesson plan but can also be creative, flexible, and quick thinking when needed.
- Enjoys a fast-paced environment with daily class goals.
- The ability to follow a recipe, know measurements, and relay common terminology.
- Have your own reliable transportation that can carry up to 4 large storage tubs and a hand truck.
- Vegetarians and vegans welcome, however, you should be comfortable working with cooked meats, raw eggs, dairy, gluten, soy, and vegetarian products.
- A fun and positive attitude is a must as well as an ability to engage actively with kids.
Responsibilities will include:
- Create a dynamic, fun, and engaging experience for kids and their families while maintaining the function, operation, and order of the classroom.
- Learning and leading students safely through the week’s lesson plan.
- Set and maintain classroom expectations and provide a safe space for all students to learn.
- Packing and transporting class supplies to and from the schools.
- Setting up and cleaning classrooms before and after class.
- Engaging with students in a caring and nurturing manner.
- Managing a group of enthusiastic school-age students mixed grades, 1st - 6th.
- Signing students in and out of our program, and contacting parents when someone is missing, injured, or sick.
- Washing your class dishes, putting away supplies and tidying up at our prep kitchen.
Shifts: We're currently hiring two part-time staff for 4 days a week.
- Shifts are Tuesday – Friday
- Tuesday 1pm – 6:30pm
- Wednesday 11:30am – 5:30pm
- Thursday 1:30pm – 7:30pm
- Friday 12:30pm – 6pm
- We also work within the school’s calendar and schedules change quarterly, so there are weeks of furlough around Christmas, Spring Break, etc.
Location: Staff pick up supplies in our Woodland Park location and take them to teach classes at various schools around the Greater Seattle area.
- Training/Assistant Instructors: $19.00 to $22.00/hour
- Lead Instructors: $24.00 to $26.00/hour
- Full-time Lead Instructors are paid $30/hour after 1 year.
- We offer quarterly bonuses for completing scheduled class sessions.
- Rainy Day Dinner Club complies with Seattle’s Paid Sick and Safe Time requirements.
- 11 PTO days, for all staff whose regularly scheduled shifts fall on a national holiday.
- Mileage: Staff are paid their hourly wage for driving supplies to school locations. For classes located outside the city of Seattle, mileage will be reimbursed for transporting supplies to and from schools at 0.20 cents per mile.
- Some schools require masks otherwise it is optional.
- Provide proof of covid vaccines and boosters.
- Must be able to pass a Washington State school and National background checks.
- Food Handler's Card (within 30 days of hire)
- Current First Aid and CPR certifications (within 60 days of hire)
- Ability to lift three 40lbs bins in and out of your car (cart will be provided)
- Reliable transportation to and from schools that can safely hold up to 4 large storage bins plus a hand truck.
- Provide proof of current car insurance
For more info, please visit http://www.rainydaydinnerclub.com/
Equal Opportunity Employment:
Rainy Day Dinner Club is an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are based on merit and business needs, and not on the basis of race, sex/gender, religion/creed, pregnancy, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, national origin, genetic markers, military or veteran's status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Compensation this position is : hourly, $20/hr + Application instructions