Nutrition Education Specialist Fresh Approach
- Date Posted October 29, 2023
- Location Concord, CA
- Category Education / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
The mission of Fresh Approach is to create long-term change in local food systems by connecting California communities with healthy food from California farmers and expanding knowledge about food and nutrition. We accomplish our mission through a variety of food access, education, and community engagement programs across the Bay Area, including the Mobile Farmers’ Market, VeggieRx, Collective Roots Community Garden, the East Palo Alto Community Farmers’ Market, and Matching Nutrition Incentives at the Richmond Certified Farmers’ Market. We believe that everyone should have equal access to healthy foods and that the health of our communities and the livelihood of our local farmers should go hand-in-hand.We are seeking an individual who values diversity at all levels and is committed to fostering an environment in which community members and co-workers from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed and can thrive. Job description
Fresh Approach seeks a dynamic and passionate Nutrition Education Program Specialist to plan, coordinate and deliver Food As Medicine education programs for Spanish-speaking and English-speaking participants; primarily the VeggieRx nutrition education program. This position is responsible for identifying partners and scheduling nutrition programming primarily in Contra Costa County and Alameda County counties (with a focus on Richmond, San Pablo, and Oakland communities), as well as facilitating classes in English and Spanish. This position is also responsible for data and impacts tracking, curriculum development, partnership building, and community outreach.
Fresh Approach’s Education Programs include VeggieRx nutrition education, Collective Roots community gardening (in East Palo Alto), and community outreach and engagement. These programs all work to provide skills and tools to make finding, affording, growing, and/or cooking healthy foods more accessible.
This is a full-time non-exempt position (between 30-40 hours per week) with benefits including paid sick time, paid vacation, health insurance, and 403b retirement savings matching.
Act as a Nutrition Educator
- Adapt established nutrition curriculum for application in different settings and audiences
- Develop and deliver messages to encourage better-informed choices about nutrition, food as medicine, and local food systems
- Teach nutrition education classes in English and Spanish, both in-person and online
- Administer pre- and post-surveys for program and class evaluation
- Conduct community outreach by engaging with individuals of diverse backgrounds and ages at community events, health fairs, and nutrition classes
- Facilitate farmers’ market food and nutrition demonstrations in English and Spanish at Fresh Approach’s Mobile Farmers’ Market and traditional farmers’ market sites
- Deliver messages which provide a greater understanding of California agriculture and its role in supporting local food systems, community health and nutrition, and communities of all incomes
- Coordinate and further develop Fresh Approach’s Food As Medicine programs
- Develop and maintain partnerships with community organizations, clinics, government agencies, care teams and farmers’ markets throughout the Bay Area to support programming.
- Assess community need for programming and events by collecting input and analyze program data using Microsoft Excel/Google Sheets and Salesforce
- Use data to report impacts, shape future planning, and recruit future partnerships
- Collaborate with Marketing & Communications staff to develop outreach and promotional material for use at farmers’ markets, nutrition classes, and community events
- Assist Fresh Approach projects to ensure that projects successfully meet guidelines
- Complete record-keeping to document work completed and progress toward grant goals
- Act as direct supervisor of Fresh Approach’s volunteers, community ambassadors, and interns offering trainings and resources to support their direct community or education.
- Support volunteers, community ambassadors, and interns in their outreach efforts to bring awareness to Food as Medicine programs and improve recruitment for classes.
- Be a Team Player
- Collaborate with other program staff to coordinate actions on new project development
- Support outreach and fundraising events as a means of increasing Fresh Approach awareness
- Attend regular staff planning and project meetings
- Maintain a high level of integrity as a representative of Fresh Approach
- Bilingual: A high proficiency in English and Spanish is required
- Experience or interest in working with diverse populations
- Demonstrated interest in nutrition, public health, local food systems and California Agriculture
- Experience delivering grant or contract-based program activities
- Demonstrated experience in group presentations, teaching, and facilitation
- Experience teaching nutrition, cooking, or sustainable agriculture is a plus
- Ability to build relationships and work with diverse groups of volunteers and community members
- Excellent communication skills, both in group and one-on-one settings, as well as written communication
- Self-directed and motivated
- Organized and detail-oriented
- Ability to work in a team environment as well as independently
- Adept at Microsoft Excel and Word, Google Suites, and other technology software
- Requires work in an office environment and outside in all weather conditions
- Requires the ability to lift equipment in and out of a vehicle, to lift equipment off the ground, and to be able to lift items above head
- Requires a driver's license and reliable transportation other than public transportation due to the location of workshops that this position will teach as well as the supplies the position is required to bring to workshops. All mileage traveled for work purposes will be reimbursed at the federal rate.
- Requires occasional travel to South Bay and Peninsula
- Requires occasional weekend work on both Saturdays and Sundays; and occasional early morning work or late evening work
- This is an hourly, non-exempt position consisting of 30-40 hours a week reporting to the Food As Medicine Program Manager.
- This is an hourly position starting at $25.00/hour. Because we know the practice of compensation negotiation can contribute to pay inequities, this compensation rate is non-negotiable.
- Benefits for full-time positions include medical, dental, and vision coverage paid by the employer; vacation and sick time accruals; and a 403b retirement plan with employer match subject to vesting.
- Vacation benefits include 16 paid holidays per year, as well as 10 additional paid vacation days accrued in the first year of employment. Progressive years of employment include additional accrued vacation days.