Native Plant Manager and Educator Appalachian Headwaters
- Date Posted October 21, 2023
- Location Lewisburg, WV
- Category Education
- Job type Full-Time
Position: Native Plant Grounds Manager and Ecology Educator
Organization: Appalachian Headwaters
Location: Lewisburg, West Virginia
Position Overview: Appalachian Headwaters is a nonprofit organization that is focused on environmental education (especially climate) and restoration and maintenance of native ecosystems. We are seeking someone to: 1) conduct educational programming with interns and the public, and 2) help plan restoration projects and oversee a grounds crew working to restore native ecosystems on a 160-acre public park six miles from Lewisburg. This is an unusual opportunity to work with a well-funded non-profit organization to help establish a native ecosystem and environmental education center.
Appalachian Headwaters is well along in the process of developing a native ecosystem park and education center. The 160-acre property includes native meadows, forests, riparian areas, ponds and stream access, cultivated native pollinator gardens, and hiking trails. We recently finished construction of a state-of-the-art large environmental education building with a teaching laboratory and large education spaces. We are in the process of transitioning several former agricultural meadows to native species habitat. We also have significant forested acreage for development of hiking and education trails. This site also includes a playground, organic vegetable garden, day camp facilities, large greenhouse, several residences, and outbuildings. Our program staff includes year-round and seasonal educators, summer interns, as well as an experienced native plant nursery manager and a year-round 4-5 person grounds crew.
The Grounds Manager will be responsible for
· working with a team on planning and development of native ecosystem park and education center
· management of grounds crew
· working with community and interns related to native ecosystem education.
· working with plant program staff in establishing native plantings, weeding gardens, invasive species removal, plant and wildlife surveys, maintaining records, etc.
· operating tractor, chain saw, general equipment maintenance and repair, fence building, etc.
· woodland trail building and maintenance
· Masters degree in ecology or plant related field is preferred but not required
· Significant commercial plant growing experience
· Knowledge of native plants and interest in Appalachian ecosystems
· Experience managing employees
· Kind and considerate coworker
· Interest and/or experience in community teaching
· Strong environmentalist ethic
Compensation: Full-time salaried position of $50,000 to $62,000 (DOE) with excellent benefits including up to 10% 401(k) retirement match and medical insurance.
Position will be based in Lewisburg, West Virginia Organization websites: www.appheadwaters.org
Position open until filled.Compensation this position is : salaried, 50k-75k Application instructions Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! DeadlineDecember 31, 2023