Harvest Manager Siena Farms
- Date Posted December 19, 2023
- Location Sudbury, MA
- Category Agriculture
- Job type Full-Time
We are seeking a hard-working, committed, talented individual motivated by a career interest in sustainable agriculture to join our 2024 team as a Harvest Manager. Two or more seasons of previous farming experience is required.
Siena Farms’ Harvest Manager is a core member of the year-round management team for our 75-acre organic produce farm. They work closely with Assistant Harvest Managers, other farm managers and staff to carefully and efficiently manage harvest, wash-up, packing, and distribution of our farm products; participate in various aspects of crop production; manage the hiring and training of seasonal farm staff; and participate in general farm management duties such as crop planning, business planning, and organizational systems development. They will report to and be supervised by the Siena Farms’ Farm Manager, Business Manager, and Owner.
Primary responsibilities of our Harvest Managers include but are not limited to the planning, management, and execution of the following.
- Daily/weekly management of harvests, washup and other post-harvest handling activities
- Management of CSA harvests, packs, and distribution, in close coordination with Business Manager and Distribution Manager
- Management of retail harvests and packs, in close coordination with Farmer Chris and Retail Managers
- Management of wholesale orders, harvests and packs, including sending price lists, compiling and confirming orders, and invoicing
- Wholesale account management, outreach, and communications, with the goal of increasing sales to restaurants and other wholesale accounts
- Training and oversight of seasonal farm staff and other farm crew members involved with harvest activities on any given day
- Periodically lead weekly greenhouse seedings year-round, according to seasonal field crop plan as well as winter greens production schedule
- Covering daily watering needs and temp control as needed
- Participation in manual field work such as trellising, pruning, fencing, hand-weeding, hoeing, and irrigation; train seasonal farm staff into these tasks
- Managing the hiring and on-boarding of seasonal farm staff; processing applications, interviews, hiring, and orientation.
- Leading of regular check-ins with seasonal farm staff during the season
General Farm Management
- Participation in seasonal planning meetings to develop annual crop plans and field plans; staffing, equipment, and marketing plans; and other business development strategies
- Participation in weekly manager meetings year-round, as well as regular field tours during the season
- Daily communication with crop production managers to coordinate workflow between harvest priorities and production priorities each day.
- Leadership in general farm upkeep, cleanliness, workplace safety, and food safety
- Assisting with repair and maintenance of equipment, buildings, and other infrastructure as needed
- Participation in farm events such as our Annual CSA Farm Tour and our Annual Old-Fashioned Carrot Pulls
- Participation and leadership in team-building events for farm staff
Secondary Responsibilities of our Harvest Manager, when and if the primary responsibilities described above are accomplished at any given time during the day, week, or season, and/or when it is asked of them by their manager(s) based on priorities of the farm as a whole, include but are not limited to the following:
- Marketing and sales at farm stores; wholesale/CSA/retail deliveries; office administrative duties; any other task that will help the team and the farm accomplish any of its goals.
Our Harvest Manager position, like all of our employees, is held to high standards for organization, communication with coworkers, positive attitude, respect and kindness for coworkers, work quality, and professional work ethic, work pace, and work schedule. Of all of these values, respect and kindness for coworkers is the top priority, as everything else good follows from that.
Our Harvest Manager position is considered a full-time, year-round position with a flexible start date during Winter 2023, and an initial commitment through Thanksgiving 2024. The schedule averages 40 hours/week spread over 4 days per week in the “cold months” (December through March), and averages 50 hours / week spread over 5 days in the “warm months” (April through November).
Core schedule during December through March is Monday through Thursday, 7am – 5pm. Core schedule during April and May is Monday through Friday, 7am – 5pm. Core schedule June through November includes 5 days a week from 7am – 5pm, with a “Friday/Saturday” weekend, or a “Sunday/Monday” weekend. Some portions of some seasons historically have required work days extend to 6pm in the summer and fall, so we’ll keep that as an option but not a likelihood. One hour of paid lunch break per day is allotted to all farm staff.
- Competitive salary, including a generous paid-vacation package.
- Perks include a weekly veggie farm share to take home, additional access to surplus produce, plus employee discounts at Siena Farms' retail sites as well as at family restaurants Oleana and Sofra.
- We do not offer on-farm housing
- We do offer employer sponsored health insurance to all full-time employees after 90 days from start date.
- Reliable transportation to and from the farm in Sudbury is required (we are located in an area that lacks sufficient public transportation).
Compensation this position is : salaried, 50k-75k Application instructions