Farm Assistant - Boulder Farm Growing Gardens of Boulder County
- Date Posted November 06, 2023
- Location Boulder, CO
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
Over the last 22 years, Growing Gardens has brought gardening, nutrition education and produce donations to over 162,000 Boulder County residents.
We offer a variety of programs to get people of all ages, backgrounds, income levels, and abilities involved in growing and cooking their own food. These educational opportunities are paired with seed, plant start, and produce donations, as well as gardening space, to impart greater food security and hunger relief in our community.Job description
The Boulder Farm Assistant plays an important role in vegetable crop production, managing the weekly Farm Stand, supporting the goat dairy and leading volunteers and other educational programs on the farm.
Job Title: Farm Assistant- Boulder Farm
Job Status: Full Time, Hourly, Seasonal Employee
20-40 hrs per week in March
40 hours per week April- November 1, 2024
Job Term: This is a grant funded one year position, ending October 2024. There is potential and desire of Growing Gardens to extend this to multi-year, position.
Benefits: 40 hrs of PTO for the season, in addition to 3 federal holidays (pick from Memorial Day, Juneteenth, July 4, Labor Day, Frances Xavier Cabrini Day) and 2 growing team shutdown days. Total of 80 hours of paid PTO and Holiday leave
Paid Sick Leave accrues at a rate of 1 hour for every 30 hours worked, max of 48 hours.
This position will support the growing team primarily at the Boulder Farm location. This position will assist in leading programming, assisting with growing operations, working at the goat dairy and supporting events across sites as needed.
Growing Responsibilities 90%:
- Work with the Boulder Farm Manager to achieve growing and programming goals throughout the season.
- Greenhouse work to support growing for programs, donation and our Plant Sale
- Farm work including, seeding, transplanting, weeding, pest and disease management, cover cropping, irrigation installation and repairs, mowing, and harvesting, washing and packaging produce.
- Leading volunteers and other program participants in farm projects
- Assisting with Work Trade Program, Cultiva Youth Project and weekly CSA and Farm Stand and GGFP food donation program
- This job is outside in all weather conditions and involves many contact hours with program participants (children, teens, interns, volunteers, adults, etc)
- Weekly chore shifts at the goat dairy, including milking, animal care, rotational grazing management and educational events for the public
- Staff alternate throughout the season with weekend greenhouse watering shifts (1-2 hours each) and this position will support Wednesday evening Farm Stand, which runs 3:30-7pm, June through October.
Admin and Event Support - 5-10% of Time
- Attend weekly staff meetings
- Farm stand and harvest record keeping
- Support farm events or other programming as needed. This may include set-up, break-down, and staffing of events.
- Support some community events and programs with partner organizations.
- Must have at least one full season experience working on a production farm
- Strong communication and conflict resolutions skills
- Regular weekend and evening work is required
- Ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions, year-round
- Ability to engage in physically active work every day on uneven terrain
- Ability to interact with volunteers, interns, youth, people with differing abilities and the general public on a daily basis
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively with a team
- Ability to pass a background check because our programs work with children and teens
- Bilingual Spanish/English
Compensation this position is : hourly, varies DOE, $20.00 - $23.00 Application instructions