Garden Educator Trellis Horticultural Therapy Allian
- Date Posted November 07, 2023
- Location Atlanta, GA
- Category Agriculture / Education
- Job type Part-Time
The Garden Educator serves as the primary person responsible for the management of the garden program located at Metro Transitional Center (MTC), a low-security women’s transitional facility operated by the Georgia Department of Corrections and located in Atlanta, GA. At the heart of this program is a small-scale production garden which serves the program participants at MTC and the primary goals of the program: garden-based education, food production, and community connection.
Our ideal candidate is committed to growing gardens for community, food access, education and a therapeutic connection to nature, and has experience providing programming in a prison or other marginalized context. They are flexible, knowledgeable about the maintenance of gardens, excited to invite others into a learning environment, and committed to the dignity of program participants.
The candidate will be employed on a part-time, contractual basis by Trellis Horticultural Therapy Alliance. Trellis uses the power of gardening and nature to enrich the lives of people living with disabilities, illness and other life challenges. Trellis has been a partner in the MTC garden program since its beginning in 2018.
- Garden Management: coordinate an all-seasons production garden with participants and community partners. This includes year-round planning and growing, maintenance, pest management, and purchasing and procuring materials and supplies.
- Education: Plan and/or facilitate garden workdays and monthly workshops with the MTC participants on organic gardening, ecological awareness, & regenerative agriculture. A portion of the workshops will be led by community partners.
- Group facilitation: support the organization of the MTC participants’ weekly garden maintenance tasks.
- Food Distribution: coordinate with MTC participants and community partners about food production goals; manage harvest, processing and distribution; support cooking opportunities as able/interested.
- Communication: Communicate regularly with the MTC superintendent on monthly planned programs/workshops, with facility officers and staff on day-to-day operations and security clearances, and with Trellis/program team regarding program needs or issues requiring input or resolution.
- Administration: Provide monthly summary reports of activities conducted specific to food distribution, educational programs and workshops and participation. Prepare a monthly invoice of hours worked and expenses incurred in keeping with the grant budget. Additional reporting may be required to adhere to grant reporting requirements.
Skills and Experience:
- Commitment to dignity of MTC program participants who are incarcerated
- Experience in organic gardening, production farming, horticulture, or horticultural therapy
- Strong ability to prioritize, plan and organize farm work tasks with the MTC residents
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with an ability to work effectively with a wide range of characters in a diverse community
- Positive attitude, takes initiative and leads by example
- Effective problem solver who works well with minimal supervision
- Willingness to learn on the job in a quickly changing environment
- Physically able to meet the demands of gardening such as weeding, harvesting, digging, and able to lift a minimum 20-pounds
- Valid Georgia driver’s license and access to a vehicle, as driving is a component of the job duties
- Ideally, experience working with people who are incarcerated or similarly marginalized
Hours and Rate of Pay:
20 hours/week average (can adjust with the seasons)
The contracted position will begin in January 2024 and end on June 30, 2025 at the end of the grant funding period, with possible extension based on available funding.
What Else You Should Know
If you’re a person with a prior felony, please apply. We will work with you and the Department of Corrections and see what is possible.
Metro Transitional Center, 1303 Constitution Road, Atlanta, GA 30316
Compensation this position is : hourly, $20/hr + Application instructions