Non-Profit Farm Manager Veggies to Table +1 more
- Date Posted November 26, 2023
- Location Newcastle, ME
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
Veggies to Table is a non-profit 501c3 grow-to-donate organic diversified fruit, veggie and flower farm. Everything we grow we donate to those in need of food and joy in our community. We partner with 35+ local pantries, schools, summer lunch, and educational programs to bring our nutrient dense, and produce to community members experiencing hunger. We have welcomed hundreds of volunteers to the farm and work to create deep community connections on the farm and beyond.
We are committed to restoring dignity to individuals and families who have lost control over that most basic of choices and decisions—what to eat. The goal? Universal access to nutritious and culturally appropriate food for everyone.
As an estimated 215,000 people in Maine go hungry daily, our mission is vital — now. You can be a part of the solution.
More details here: https://veggiestotable.orgJob description
We are looking for an experienced and passionate Farm Manager to manage the Grow-to-Donate Program of our non-profit organic, no-till, no-spray, vegetable, fruit, and flower farm.
We seek someone committed to non-profit work and our mission—someone who is excited to help provide food justice and equity to our community through growing and donating the bounty from our acre and a half of diversified vegetables, fruit, flowers, and herbs.
- Minimum 5 years organic farming
- Experience managing and mentoring a crew
- Experience managing volunteers
- Deep knowledge of fruit, vegetable, flower, and herb production from seed to table/bouquet in zone 5B
- Knowledge of crop planning, soil health, fertility, organic pest control, and succession planting
Position Details include:
- Crop planning and rotation
- Building soil
- Seedling production, planting, harvesting, and post-harvest handling of produce, herbs, and flowers
- Record keeping including planting log, crop plan, harvest details, pounds and stems donated
- Pest management
- Keeping the farm neat, tidy, and set for success
- Daily and Weekly Planning with crew
- Managing and mentoring our crew and volunteers
- Collaborating with partners
- Organizing partner pick up
- Collaborating with the Executive Director and the Administrative team
As an employee of a non-profit farm and head of our grow-to-donate program our Farm Manager will assist, as needed, in other activities including farm tours, educational programming and support, and seasonal farm events and pop-ups.
While this is primarily a farming position, our farm is open to the community and our Farm Manager will be interacting with community members of all ages on a consistent basis.
This position will be supported by two Farmers, a part time volunteer manager and a part-time flower farmer, the Executive Director and administrative team.
- Excellent Communication skills
- Community Builder
- A team player who is also able to work independently
- Attention to detail
- A sense of humor!
Our Farm Manager should have:
- a strong desire to produce food of the highest nutritional, aesthetic, and ecological quality to donate to community members experiencing hunger.
- a willingness and ability to work outdoors in all types of weather, under potentially strenuous conditions — heat, rain, sun, wind, and cold—preparedness and a positive attitude are essential for success.
- a detail-oriented approach, with considerable attention to order, and cleanliness,
- an ability to see the large picture as well as smaller details ensuring our crew and volunteers are appropriately engaged knowing what needs to get done and why
- an ongoing commitment to improving systems and practices.
- timely email and/or phone communication
- knowledge of Google Drive, Word, and Excel
- an enthusiasm to continue to learn and grow as a person and farmer. We encourage personal development and growth through classes, online resources, and mentors.
- excellent interpersonal skills. There is a mix of crew, local volunteers, Wwoofers, and students on the farm daily.
- a desire to build not only our farm, soil, and ourselves, but also community connections
- a love of farming and people and sharing this love on the farm and beyond
- An ability to transition between different tasks easily. There is always a lot to do on the farm.
- Vision and common sense to deal calmly with whatever comes along
- An ability to notice what needs to be done, and shift when needed (things change all the time on a farm) is essential.
- 5-day work week 40-50 hours a week (depending on the season),
- 135 hours Paid Time Off
- Health care stipend (if applicable)
- Federal holidays, day after Thanksgiving
- Professional development
- Fresh organic farm produce, flowers, and eggs!
- Being part of the solution of hunger
- Location a mile from Damariscotta Lake and a mile from the ocean
- Location 1 hour from Portland, 40 minutes from Camden
- Location 3 hours from Boston
- An abundance of local hiking and beaches
- Damariscotta—shops, services, and Rising Tide Coop a mile from the farm
- Salary varies based on experience and if year-round (preferred), or seasonal.
- Veggies to Table is an equal opportunity employer and never discriminates based on race, gender, religion, ethnicity or sexual orientation. Everyone is welcome.
- We work hard and with enthusiasm. We adore what we do and want you to adore it as much as we do. Being around a crew of equally enthused lovers of food and beauty invigorates us. We look forward to connecting!
- This position is year-round or seasonal with a flexible start date of Jan to March.
THIS POSITION IS FOR OUR 2024 SEASON (AND BEYOND)
Compensation this position is : salaried, 50k-75k Application instructions Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! DeadlineDecember 31, 2023