Flower Farmer Veggies to Table +1 more
- Date Posted December 05, 2023
- Location Newcastle, ME
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
Veggies to Table is a non-profit 501c3 grow-to-donate organic diversified fruit, veggie and flower farm. Everything we grow we donate to those in need of food and joy in our community. We partner with 35+ local pantries, schools, summer lunch, and educational programs to bring our nutrient dense, and produce to community members experiencing hunger. We have welcomed hundreds of volunteers to the farm and work to create deep community connections on the farm and beyond.
We are committed to restoring dignity to individuals and families who have lost control over that most basic of choices and decisions—what to eat. The goal? Universal access to nutritious and culturally appropriate food for everyone.
As an estimated 215,000 people in Maine go hungry daily, our mission is vital — now. You can be a part of the solution.
More details here: https://veggiestotable.orgJob description
Veggies to Table seeks a passionate and energetic flower farmer to work in conjunction with a farm manager, crew, the founders of Veggies to Table, and a lot of motivated volunteers and Wwoofers of all ages. We are in search of someone committed to non-profit work, our mission, and organic, no-till, no-spray farming. We seek someone who is excited to work with many kinds of beautiful flowers to create #flowerjoy for our community.
Our ideal candidate has experience with organic no-till practices, growing diverse kinds of flowers, and is excited to build not only our farm, but community connections. They love people and sharing their love of joyful flowers.
Our flower farmer will be expected to understand flower farming from seeding, transplanting, fertilizing and field maintenance (weeding, mulching, trellising, hortonova netting etc). They will be responsible for harvesting with crew and volunteers and bouquet making.
- Minimum 2 years organic flower farming, ideally no-till
- Experience and knowledge of flowers from seed to table/bouquet
- Curiosity and willingness to learn
- Excellent Communication skills
- Interested in building community
- Good time management skills
- A team player who is also able to work independently
- Attention to detail and high quality
- A sense of humor
- A willingness and ability to work outdoors in all types of weather, under potentially strenuous conditions. — heat, rain, sun, wind, and cold—preparedness and a positive attitude are essential for success.
- A detail-oriented approach, with considerable attention to order, cleanliness, and quality
- An ongoing commitment to improving systems and practices.
- Timely email and/or phone communication
- Desire to continue to learn and grow as a person and farmer. We will encourage and support personal development and growth at Veggies to Table through classes, online resources, and mentors.
- Excellent interpersonal skills. There is always a mix of crew, local volunteers, Wwoofers, students and volunteers on the farm daily.
- a desire to build not only our farm, soil, and ourselves, but also community connections
- a love of farming and people and sharing this love of fresh, nutritious produce and joyful flowers with everyone on the farm and beyond
- There is always a lot to do on the farm. Being able to transition between different tasks easily is important
- Having vision and common sense to deal with whatever comes along in a calm manner is key.
- An ability to notice what needs to be done, and shift when needed (things change all the time on a farm) is essential.
- We work hard and with enthusiasm. We adore what we do and want you to adore it as much as we do. Being around a crew of equally enthused lovers of food and beauty invigorates us.
- Paid time off and holidays
- Paid professional development
- Fresh organic produce, flowers, and eggs!
- Location a mile from Damariscotta Lake and a mile from the ocean
- Location 1 hour from Portland and 40 minutes from Camden and Rockland
- Location 3 hours from Boston
- An abundance of local hiking and beaches
- Rising Tide Coop
- Downtown Damariscotta—shops and services a mile from the farm
Salary will vary based on experience. Please inquire.
Veggies to Table is an equal opportunity employer and never discriminates on the basis of race, gender, religion, ethnicity or sexual orientation. Everyone is always welcome.
This position is for the 2024 farm season April-November/December with the possibility of winter work.
THE VEGGIES TO TABLE MISSION
We grow top-quality organic produce and flowers to donate to local folks experiencing hunger and needing joy, create lasting community connections through our volunteer program, and provide education around healthy food and sustainable living.
We are committed to bringing normalcy and restoring dignity to individuals and families who have lost control over that most basic of choices and decisions—what to eat. The goal? Universal access to nutritious and culturally appropriate food for everyone.
As an estimated 215,000 of people in Maine do not have enough food to eat, our mission is vital — now. You can be a part of the solution.Compensation this position is : salaried, 35,568* - 50k Application instructions Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! DeadlineDecember 30, 2023