Field Crew Full-Time Seasonal Forts Ferry Farm
- Date Posted November 14, 2023
- Location Latham, NY
- Category Agriculture
- Job type Full-Time
Forts Ferry Farm is a family—a collective of farmers, chefs, and innovators. As a dynamic, living component of our region’s unique climate and rich soils, our farm is a year-round hive of activity. Our ever-evolving, seasonally-inspired culinary creations transform flavor, from the ground up. It is our mission at Forts Ferry Farm to grow and create great food for our neighbors and our community in the Capital Region.
At our farm in Latham, we grow nearly 300 varieties of heirloom vegetables, herbs, and cut flowers on three acres of land. Our farm, kitchen, and retail team work closely in selecting the most flavorful varieties to be sold at our farm stand(s) and website. Using a combination of hand-scale bed preparation and tractor implements, we work efficiently while maintaining and building healthy soil. In addition to produce, we run an intimate livestock operation which includes a flock of laying hens and two steers. Our colony of beehives assist with pollination and provide farm-fresh honey.
Crop production is the heartbeat of our operation and we’re looking for a team member to join our field crew who is passionate about growing diverse vegetables using low-till and sustainable practices. During the growing season, the farm crew works together on all aspects of production.
Daily tasks include seeding, transplanting, bed preparation, pest and disease management, greenhouse management, weeding, harvesting, pruning, and wash/pack. We encourage collaboration and welcome ideas and projects from all members of our team. The field crew works directly with the Farm Manager and Head of Agriculture to accomplish daily and weekly tasks, meet production goals, and ensure healthy crops and land. As a team, we are focused on working efficiently with great attention to detail.
This position is full time, 40 hours per week, from April to November. The hours for this position are 7:30-4pm, 5 days/week, with two consecutive days off.
What You Must Bring to This Role
- At least 1 full season working on a diverse vegetable farm strongly preferred
- Comfort working in all weather conditions
- Ability to lift, bend, and transfer items up to 50 lbs
- Desire to work efficiently, openly communicate, and maintain a positive attitude
- Ability to work within the safety guidelines as laid out by management (FFF specific, CDC specific, GAP, and FSMA)
- Safely use and/or maintain all farm tools and equipment
- Great attention to detail and deep care for the land
- Formal education and/or related skills a plus
- Passion and desire to pursue a career in agriculture
Compensation, Benefits & Fun Stuff
- Starting at $15-20 per hour DOE (depending on experience)
- Employees get to reap the fruits of their labor and enjoy seasonal produce and goods made from our kitchen
- 25% discount on any purchase at the Forts Ferry Farmers Markets and webshop
- When applicable, share of Gratuity received from the Market or Online Orders (commensurate with hours worked)
- 2 consecutive days off per week
- PTO accrual
- 40 hours New York Paid Sick Leave (front loaded at start date)
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! DeadlineJanuary 31, 2024