Govans Farmers Market Manager Loyola University Maryland (GFM)
- Date Posted November 15, 2023
- Location Baltimore, MD
- Category Nonprofit
- Job type Part-Time
The Govans Farmers Market (GFM) is operated by the Loyola University Center for Community, Service, and Justice, the university’s community engagement center. The Govans Farmers Market is a mission-based market that operates once a week, June-September in North Baltimore City. The Market will be entering its 13th season in 2024 and provides the Govans community with a source fresh produce as well as a community gathering space and a connection to community information.
The Govans Farmers Market Manager is a 9-month seasonal temporary position. The role will have the option of remote or hybrid work January through the end of April for 15-20 hours a week with in-person work expected for 20-30 hours a week May-September. The pay rate is $20/hour.
The Govans Farmers Market Manager will supervise market volunteers, interns, and summer YouthWorks employees.
Specifically the role will:
• Manage the vendor recruitment and onboarding process, including scouting new vendors
(including conducting site visits as needed), retaining existing vendors, and managing the
collections of market application materials.
• Work with CCSJ’s Executive Director to manage permitting and other health/safety requirements
(City Health Department, USDA permitting).
• Serve as the primary point of contact for GFM vendors during the season, managing weekly
vendor communications and serving as the on-site manager.
• Develop and implement a comprehensive outreach strategy to atract new and returning
customers to the market.
• Manage the social media and communications for the Govans Market, including an e-newsleter.
• Revise Govans Farmers Market community guidelines to reflect a commitment to Diversity,
Equity, Inclusion, and Justice.
• Understand federal funding programs for SNAP/WIC eligible customers. Ensure finance
volunteers are trained on relevant procedures.
• Work with CCSJ’s Manager, Administrative Services to manage market finances, conducting weekly finance close-out reporting weekly during the season.
• Serve as CCSJ’s point of contact for the Mayor’s Oﬃce of Employment Development’s
YouthWorks Program for Govan Market youth assistants. Manage youth recruitment process.
Create a meaningful summer experience for GFM YouthWorkers that includes training on
customer service best practices and information on food equity, life skills and entrepreneurship.
• Recruit community organizations that can oﬀer information stations and other services during market sessions.
• Plan special events and promotional days for GFM sessions (past examples include Back to School promotions, National Farmers Market Week, live music events).
• Support CCSJ’s AmeriCorps VISTA in managing donations from GFM vendors to the Govans Community Fridge (located at the 5104 lot) during the summer months.
• Passion for working on food equity or local purchasing issues; experience running public markets(produce/farmers, flea, craft etc.) is a plus.
• Possess high levels of attention to detail.
• Experience in managing special events or other event-based programming preferred.
• Hold a strong customer service orientation; experience in a retail/customer service environment
• Ability to work outdoors in hot and/or rainy weather required; ability to lift up to 20 pounds as needed preferred.
• Desire to mentor adolescent youth preferred.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline