- Date Posted November 15, 2023
- Location Ghent, NY
- Category Culinary / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
Hawthorne Valley is a place to rediscover our connection to nature, to how our food is grown, and to ourselves as participants in a dynamic social and natural ecosystem.
Through active food production, educational programs for children and adults, ongoing social and scientific research, and the cultivation of a vibrant artistic community, we pursue a modern way of living embedded deeply in the natural world. Our work emphasizes the social, ecological, and economic importance of agriculture in our daily lives.
Our integrated learning campus sits on a 900-acre Demeter-certified Biodynamic® farm in Ghent, NY, in the Hudson Valley’s scenic Columbia County. Organized since 1971 as a 501(c)3 nonprofit, our initiatives include: an early childhood through grade 12 Waldorf school; on-farm education programs; a full-line organic/natural foods and grocery store; a Biodynamic creamery and organic bakery; a mobile grocery market; a 300-plus member organic/Biodynamic CSA; social, ecological, and cultural research groups; teacher education programs; arts initiatives and more.
Our work is based on genuine human relationships, wonder and love of nature, and continued commitment to self-development and lifelong learning in a social context.
Hawthorne Valley Bakery is seeking a skilled and passionate Baker to join our dynamic team. The Baker will play a crucial role in maintaining the high standards of our bakery and ensuring customer satisfaction through the production of delicious and visually appealing baked goods.
- Prepare and bake a variety of bread, pastries and other baked goods according to established recipes and quality standards.
- Caring for pre-ferments and milling of grains
- Inspect and evaluate the quality of raw materials, ensuring they meet our standards.
- Implement quality control measures to uphold consistency and excellence in all baked goods.
- Monitor and manage inventory levels of baking ingredients and supplies.
- Assist with packing and invoicing orders
- Adhere to strict hygiene and sanitation standards to maintain a clean and safe working environment.
- Follow all safety protocols and guidelines to prevent accidents and injuries.
- Collaborate with other team members to ensure smooth operations.
- Professional baking experience, or a culinary degree in Baking and Pastry Arts preferred
- Solid understanding of baking techniques, ingredients, and equipment.
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Knowledge of health and safety regulations and procedures.
- Strong attention to detail and precision in measuring and mixing ingredients.
- Physical ability to stand, lift, and carry bakery products as needed - with or without accommodations.
- Access to medical and dental insurance to help you and your dependents stay healthy.
- Generous PTO policy to allow for rest, relaxation, and personal time away from work.
- 403(b) Retirement plan with HVA match up to 5% after 1 year of employment.
- Employee discounts on our delicious bakery products and at our Farm Store.
The anticipated schedule for this position is Monday through Friday, 4am to 12pm. This is a full time, non-exempt position with a starting pay range between $16-$18 hourly, commensurate with experience.
At Hawthorne Valley, we value and strive for social and cultural renewal in our work. We believe that cultivating an environment where everyone can be – and become – the truest expression of their humanity is essential for individual, organizational, and societal health. We know that a diverse community where everyone feels safe and is valued as they are is a strong community. Hawthorne Valley is committed to creating a diverse coworker body, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.Compensation this position is : hourly, $15-20/hr Application instructions Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline