Research Coordinator Bio-Logical Capital
- Date Posted November 17, 2023
- Location Charlotte, VT
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
We believe that healthy soils, sustainable food systems and the people who work within them are the capital of our planet's future. We believe that one of the biggest ways that we can influence climate change and healthy communities is through working in our food systems. We support, collaborate, and work with stakeholders who share and sometimes challenge these values. We partner with landowners, investors, farmers, conservationists, food professionals and municipalities to develop creative business solutions to complex challenges. We work across many scales and landscapes, from a few city planters to ranches, farms, and conserved areas that span thousands of acres.
Our current long-term projects include a 3,600 acre cattle and silvopasture ranch in Hawaii, a 400-acre diversified farm in Vermont, and a growing urban landscaping business in Colorado. In addition, we consult on family land succession plans, analyze and manage food and agricultural investments; conduct large-scale ecological research studies; and develop and operate food businesses and critical infrastructure along the value chain. Although food and agriculture are usually at the forefront of our projects, we also work in water stewardship, healthy human communities, ecological restoration and landscape conservation.
Our team comes from distinct professional backgrounds including food supply chains, ecology, business, conservation, agriculture, landscape design, and community development. We’re also working intentionally to create an inclusive workplace that welcomes BIPOC colleagues and stakeholders, and are supporting this work with team trainings, workshops, company goals, and project commitments. We hold weekly team meetings that includes conversation and reflection on Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (JEDI) within our team and our work.
For more information on our company, please visit www.biologicalcapital.com Job description Who We’re Looking For
Bio-Logical Capital (BLC) is seeking a Research Coordinator to support innovative agricultural, ecological, and climate change research in Vermont and the Northeast. This position will be based at Philo Ridge Farm, a research hub and working farm in Charlotte, Vermont managed by BLC’s team. This position reports to the Research Manager and will help to support and coordinate multiple field research initiatives, including longitudinal research on soil health, water quality, field productivity, forage quality, and animal health at various locations. The Research Coordinator will also organize and participate in field research, data collection, data analysis, and reporting for a national 2020 NRCS On-Farm Trials Soil Health Conservation Innovation Grant, as well as help support and coordinate data collection and grant writing on other BLC projects around the Northeast. From muddy field days to research presentations, you will work closely with a group of committed stakeholders including farmers, scientists, non-profit partners, state and federal agencies, farm owners, and investors.
We seek qualified candidates who identify with the descriptions below, with experiences and skills that will nourish our team and culture, and contribute to our growing impact:
- Inspired – by the current work that we do, while also excited to contribute to our continued growth and evolution.
- Committed – to making a tangible positive impact in food systems, conservation, equity and climate change.
- Communicator – who values clear, specific and consistent communication in person, online, and in writing, formatting, editing, and preparing content to share.
- Organizer – who enjoys building and maintaining organizational systems and project management tools to help organize team members and projects.
- Flexible – open to working in variety of settings, from our office to farm tours and field visits in work clothes and boots.
- Relationship focused – excited to be vulnerable and committed to invest in relationship building with our team and project partners.
Field Research and Data Collection
- Work alongside the Research Manager to support and coordinate the near- and long-term research program at Philo Ridge Farm.
- Follow research protocols and methods across field trials to address questions around soil health, pasture productivity, biodiversity, climate change, and ecosystem services.
- Manage data storage and maintain accessibility to collaborators as needed.
- Work closely with farmers and farm owners to preform practice-based research initiatives.
Data Collection, Analysis, and Dissemination
- Analyze data from social, economic and ecological research, complete statistical analysis, and build representative figures.
- Support the preparation of manuscripts and written reports for diverse audiences.
- As needed, work alongside the Research and Ecological Design team to create and deliver site assessments across BLC’s consulting and management portfolio.
- Synthesize research findings to inform on-farm operations and practices, including design, construction and management of excel based data analysis tools
Grant Writing and Management -
- Study and understand the history, structure, objectives, programs, and financial needs of BLC’s research program and projects
- Research grant opportunities from government and non-government agencies
- Alongside Research team members, draft grant proposals and supporting documents based on the funding requirements of the organization.
- Support all administration processes for awarded Grants, including reporting and related content development, coordination with agencies or organizations that are funders, and provide internal updates on status of grant administration
Project Operations and Administration
- Work with the Research Team and additional members of the Leadership Team to set yearly progress goals for research in the Northeast.
- Participate in development process annual budgets for all Northeast based research projects.
- Support content development for Research team communications with farmers, investors, and project stakeholders to plan, organize, and complete research and share results.
- 4-year degree in a science, business, agriculture, or related field relevant to social, economic and ecological research.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in prior research project work as part of a research team.
- Preference for candidates with prior experience in project coordination, grant management, and/or office administration.
- Strong digital literacy across all elements of Microsoft Office suite as well as with online communication, file sharing platforms, and internal messaging platforms.
- Superior organizational skills, outstanding written and oral communication skills, attention to detail, and ability to prioritize work and tasks.
- Ability to produce and meet deadlines in a fast-paced, multi-task and changing environment, and the ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Good negotiation skills and the ability to handle sensitive information with diplomacy and discretion.
- Comfortable collaborating with a broad cross-section of people in both rural and urban settings and different professional sectors.
- Interest in advancing BLC’s commitment to diversity, inclusion, equity, and anti-racism.
- Able to work a regular weekday schedule with possibility of occasional nights and weekends if/when traveling.
- Comfortable spending parts of the workday in outdoor settings throughout the year, whether that’s fieldwork on frozen fields, in spring mud, or on hot summer days.
- Ability to spend up to 8 hours standing and lift up to 40 lbs.
Salary & Benefits
The salary range for this role is $60,000 - $70,000 annual salary. The benefit package will include healthcare, SIMPLE IRA match, summer Fridays, family leave policies, and paid time off.Compensation this position is : salaried, 50k-75k Application instructions Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline