10 Month Assistant Farm Manager College of the Atlantic
- Date Posted November 17, 2023
- Location Bar Harbor, ME
- Category Agriculture / Education
- Job type Full-Time
The faculty, students, trustees, staff, and alumnx of College of the Atlantic envision a world where people value creativity, intellectual achievement, and the diversity of nature and human cultures. With respect and compassion, individuals will construct meaningful lives for themselves, gain appreciation for the relationships among all forms of life, and safeguard the heritage of future generations. Our 350 students, 35 faculty, and 75 staff members share COA’s original focus on engaged learning and community, and more than ever, we believe that an interdisciplinary, human ecological perspective is critical to addressing the world’s most pressing problems.
Peggy Rockefeller Farms (PRF) is one of two farms owned by College of The Atlantic. PRF is located in the Town of Bar Harbor, Maine. The property is a 125 acre educational farm with 45+ acres in organic and grass fed livestock production, including poultry (eggs and meat), beef, pork, and lamb. The farm has several organic enterprises certified by the Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association (MOFGA). The farm serves as a living laboratory for classes, research, workshops, and other educational opportunities for students and the broader MDI community. The farm is located on Mt. Desert Island near Acadia National Park (ANP) and is under a Conservation Easement that limits use to agriculture and conservation.Job description
The Assistant Farm Manager will serve as a full-time10 month staff member to assist in the management of Peggy Rockefeller Farm (PRF) from the start of lambing through the end of the grazing season. The assistant farm manager is responsible for overseeing a variety of aspects of managing PRF including but not limited to livestock husbandry, rotational grazing, pasture management, oversight of work study students and seasonal staff, and the maintenance of buildings, grounds, and equipment. This position reports directly to the PRF Farm Manager. In collaboration with the PRF manager, faculty and staff, the assistant manager will support expanded farm-based interdisciplinary educational opportunities for students and the implementation of a new food-purchasing plan emphasizing increased supply of farm products to the school’s dining hall. This position is benefited.
Essential Job Function
- Management of daily livestock health, nutrition, and breeding (cattle, sheep, poultry, pork) tasks in accordance with the livestock management plan
- Pasture management via the execution of the rotational grazing and field maintenance plan
- Farm equipment operation (loader tractors, manure spreader, mowers, rototillers, trailers)
- Supervision of work- study students during academic terms, as well as seasonal staff in coordination with the farm manager
- Poultry processing (seasonally)
- Processing, packaging, and delivery of farm products to wholesale and retail accounts as assigned
- Farm facility maintenance and repairs
Compensation this position is : hourly, $15-20/hr Application instructions Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline