Summer Camp Head Educator Cedar Circle Farm & Education Center +2 more
- Date Posted January 17, 2024
- Location East Thetford, VT
- Category Education / Nonprofit
- Job type Summer Job
Cedar Circle Farm and Education Center is a nonprofit, certified organic farm located on over 50 acres of conserved land along the Connecticut River in East Thetford, Vermont. Our organization has a deep commitment to developing regenerative agriculture systems for our annual vegetable and flower production and to offering educational programming that builds connections between our food, ecosystems, and community.
Our farm is a community hub with a farmstand, retail greenhouses, a farm kitchen, a coffee shop, a cut flower garden, education programs, and unique CSA options. It’s a place where folks can learn about and deepen their appreciation for organic regenerative agriculture.
Our staff is a reflection of our community and is the most essential aspect of our farm. When you join our dynamic team, you’ll have the opportunity to make valuable contributions to our greater mission of promoting organic, regenerative farming and the transition to a localized food economy!
June 12 - August 16, 2024
ABOUT SUMMER CAMP AT CEDAR CIRCLE FARM
Cedar Circle Farm is hosting the ninth year of our unique farm-based summer program for children ages 6-11. Eight individual weeks of camp are scheduled from June 24 to August 16, Monday through Friday, with a mandatory staff training session from June 17 to 21.
The camp day is from 9 am to 4 pm, and our Summer Camp Head Educator’s time on the farm will typically be 9:00 to 5:00. We will have a capacity of 30 campers each week, and Educators will guide a group of about 10 campers during camp activities and farm explorations. Mentor Educators will float between groups and activities to assist Educators throughout the day. The camp program may include Mentors in Training and adult volunteers any week.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Summer Camp Head Educator role is for an experienced educator looking to expand their skills in leading groups of children outdoors and to guide fellow Educators, Mentor Educators (ME), and Mentors in Training (MIT). Together, our staff work to build a safe environment for learning and fun and to make meaningful relationships with our campers. We want to hear from you if you are creative, inclusive, willing to be silly, and passionate about food, gardening, and nature.
- Facilitate programs designed to encourage campers’ connection to nature, food, and each other through exploration of Cedar Circle Farm.
- Directly supervise campers, including managing groups and resolving conflicts.
- Prioritize the physical and emotional safety of campers on a working farm
- Collaborate with other staff to create weekly schedules and curricula that are age-appropriate, diverse, and represent our educational goals
- Participate in daily debrief meetings to share ideas and improve our program
- Interact with parents and caregivers of campers
- Mentor and delegate tasks to Educators, Mentor Educators (ME), and Mentors in Training (MIT)
- Facilitate the Mentors in Training (MIT) program
- Facilitate the After Camp program
- Aid in preparation and clean up of all aspects of camp programming
- Other related assignments as necessary
- Experience working as an educator, such as an outdoor educator or classroom teacher
- Enthusiasm for experiential, place-based, inclusive education
- Interest in food, gardening, and nature
- The physical and mental ability to care for children outdoors in all types of weather
- CPR and First Aid Certification (we will provide certification if you do not have it)
Hourly rate starts at $18 per hour, with an increase for returning staff. Benefits include access to farm produce and a 20% discount at the CCFEC farmstand and cafe.Compensation this position is : hourly, $15-20/hr Application instructions