Assistant Farm Manager Reunity Resources
- Date Posted November 29, 2023
- Location Santa Fe, NM
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
Reunity Resources is a 501c3 not for profit organization located in Santa Fe, NM that models a closed loop food system, turning food waste into valued products and back again. The organization has 3 branches: food collection, compost operation, and farm. We collect food waste from local public schools, restaurants, and residents, bring it back to our property where we turn that food waste into premium compost and vermicompost, then use the compost on our farm fields to grow high quality and diverse vegetables for the community. The farm has also opened an onsite cafe and hosts music multiple times a week throughout the summer. It is an exciting and family friendly environment that is loved by the community.
The farm is 1.5 acres in cultivation and is a highly trafficked area by visitors and volunteers. We focus on growing diverse vegetables for sale at our on-site farm stand, and supplying to local food donation partners. We offer a flexible CSA adjacent ‘Farm Card’ option for shoppers and donate weekly to numerous hunger relief partners. The farm is also home to a small orchard and a growing number of food-bearing perennials.
Learn more at www.reunityresources.com
The Assistant Farm Manager assists the Farm Manager with a variety of operational and administrative duties and works closely with the farm team to ensure the proper execution of the daily operations of the farm. The Assistant Manager follows training and work guidelines created by management and sets an example for farm team and volunteers in terms of focus, pace, and accuracy in the field. The Assistant Farm Manager consistently adheres to farm and field policies and procedures provided by the Farm Manager and demonstrates a commitment to the organization’s long-term mission, vision, and goals. This is a great opportunity for someone with production farming experience looking to take the next step!
- March through April Tuesday-Saturday, 9am-5pm
- May through September: Tuesday-Saturday, 7am-3pm
- October through November: Tuesday-Saturday, 8am-4pm
- Rotating watering/chore schedule on Sundays/Mondays, approximately one weekend/month per crew member
● Morning meetings with Farm Manager to review daily farm and field needs including current field and greenhouse projects, assignments for volunteers, and approach for leading field and other farm work for the day
● Monitor status of projects and tasks and updates plans as needed
● Communicate with Farm Manager throughout the day to share updates regarding daily and weekly tasks, projects, plans, and other observations.
● Participate in weekly field walk with Farm Manager to identify, plan and develop weekly tasks and projects, including creation of Harvest Plan and Harvest Sheets for the week
● Take photographs of the farm team and volunteers at work, as well as fields and greenhouse projects and provides them to the Communications Manager
● Send invoices for wholesale orders
● Transcribe harvest plan into Excel spreadsheet
● Update Harvest Sheets with accurate quantities
● Update Volunteer sign-in spreadsheet
Field & Farm Duties:
● Manage and oversee farm production tasks as assigned by Farm Manager
● Provide training to farm team as needed to ensure policies and procedures are followed
● Ensure tasks are properly finished, including all tools/materials being properly stored
● Work directly with Farm Management team, other staff, and crew members to complete farm and production tasks including, but not limited to hand weeding, cultivating, bed and field prep, planting, irrigation, harvesting, and general farm maintenance
● Assist with work in Greenhouse Management including watering, seeding, propagation, and soil mixing, delegating such tasks when appropriate
● Wash and pack produce, ensuring adherence to Health Code standards
● Greet volunteers, facilitate sign-in, and assign gloves, tools, and tasks as assigned
● Work alongside volunteers and/or interns on assigned tasks, providing instruction as needed to ensure tasks are completed safely and established procedures are followed
● Participate with watering/general farm chores on a rotating weekend schedule (1-2 times/month)
● Organize fridge on Tuesdays for the week, delegate food for kitchen, donation, and staff
● Manage wash/pack and coolers; maintain cleanliness and timely rotation of produce
● Deliver food to wholesale outlets and donation locations as needed
● May participate in cross-organizational experiences both within the organization and with community partners via Santa Fe County food projects and the Agua Fria Full Circle Farm project
● We know it's impossible to convey every single task for a particular job in one post. Our hope is that we can work together, using this job as a starting point so the role can evolve with your strengths and the needs of the organization.
Education & Experience:
● Minimum of 3 years of farming experience in a production setting.
● Must have a valid NM driver’s license.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
● Friendly, outgoing, and responsive to the public's needs
● Proven ability to learn and retain information quickly
● Ability to clearly and patiently provide instruction to farm crew staff
● Must be able to work as part of a team, as well as independently on a self-directed basis
● Experience operating a BCS walk-behind tractor, or willingness to learn
● Strong verbal and written communication skills
● Comfortable using a computer and learning new software related to job duties Experience using Google Docs and Google Sheets, preferred.
● Ability to communicate effectively in Spanish preferred
● General Knowledge of Health Code standards related to washing and packing produce, preferred
● Must be able to lift up to 40 pounds on a regular basis.
● Repeating motions that may include the wrists, hands and/or fingers.
● Ability to sit, stand, bend, kneel, stoop, crouch, climb, crawl, reach, push, pull, or walk for various lengths of time throughout the day.
● Ability to utilize computer equipment to complete daily work responsibilities.
● Ability to work outdoors in various weather conditions for prolonged periods of time.
● Ability to safely use a variety of tools and equipment related to job duties.
● Must be able to safely operate a motor vehicle.Compensation this position is : hourly, varies DOE, $21.00 - $23.00 Application instructions