Head Pastry Baker Lost Bread Co.
- Date Posted November 28, 2023
- Location Philadelphia, PA
- Category Culinary / Production
- Job type Full-Time
Our goal is to make delicious/nutritious bread widely accessible, drawing from and strengthening local food systems. Since 2017, we have purchased well over 500,000lb of local grain, and also produced a series of zines that explore the bounty of grain grown in the mid-Atlantic region through recipes, stories and journalism. Food & Wine Magazine and The Food Network both named us one of the best bakeries in the country in 2020, during which we also produced well over 100,000 loaves for COVID-19 related hunger relief packages. In 2022, we moved into our current bakery space, purchased a second stone mill, and began wholesaling and distributing our freshly milled flours. We emphasize the use of alternative grains like rye, spelt, barley, buckwheat, and corn on top of standard wheats. Though we don’t require you to have extensive experience working with these kinds of flours, having an interest in learning and developing grain-focused products is imperative. We pay 50% of health insurance costs as well as 2 weeks PTO independent from accrued sick time.Job description
Ideal Start Date: January 2024
We are looking for a leader who is comfortable developing recipes, can proactively and respectfully manage staff, and who will take initiative to problem solve and take responsibility as the head of the Pastry Department. It’s important to be able to work independently and make autonomous decisions, though we are here to provide support and collaborate in reaching common goals.
Most of our production is for farmers markets, which require fresh pastries that travel well and are stable enough to be sold throughout the day in a variety of weather conditions. Additionally, we produce and distribute a robust line of shelf-stable pantry items that are sold over a longer time-period, which must be rotated appropriately and inventoried for production planning. We are also seeking to expand the pastry retail offerings at our small storefront where there is ample opportunity for creativity and to showcase specialty pastry items.
Currently, pastry production runs from 3AM to 2PM. We will initially require a 3am start time, Wednesday - Sunday, until control of the morning bake is achieved. Thereafter, a more flexible schedule that best suits oversight of the department at large can be discussed. You can expect to work between 40-50 hours a week on average, working a bit more during the busy autumn/winter holiday seasons.
- Direct all pastry kitchen operations
- Monitor and engage in production to meet all orders
- Actively assess and maintain quality & consistency in both fresh pastry and pantry items
- Maintain an accurate inventory of ingredients and packaging
- Recipe & menu development & planning (including packaging)
- Place orders from vendors and farms while staying conscious of budget
- Formulate food cost for pastry and pantry items & update as prices fluctuate
- Hire, train, oversee and provide evaluations of staff
- Create & maintain department schedule
- Enforce quality control and sanitation procedures
- Proactively communicate with fellow managers to work together towards common goals
- Take initiative to solve issues that arise both in the moment and on larger scales
A plus if you:
- Have experience working with freshly milled whole grains
- Speak Spanish
- Have experience or interest in contributing to educational classes offered to the public