Organic Farm Worker - CSA Drop Wild Hope Farm +2 more
- Date Posted November 29, 2023
- Location Chester, SC
- Category Agriculture
- Job type Full-Time
We seek strong, efficient people with experience and passion who aspire to manage a production farm one day. All employees are integral members of our 10-17 person team at Wild Hope Farm. During the season you will be exposed to all aspects of organic farming and deepen your knowledge of our organic farming methods, produce and operations, season extension, cover cropping, reduced-tillage methods, composting, soil quality, harvesting and packing, customer delivery, and selling. We will assess your development and coach you towards operating independently over the time with us.
As a part of our goal in hiring career farmers, you are eligible to participate in our company’s 401k with 3% matching and receive a $150/mo healthcare stipend after a year of employment. Other benefits include free vegetables, 5 paid vacation days, 2 paid personal days and 5 paid sick days.
- Crew members will mainly participate in harvest, wash and pack for CSA and markets throughout the season
- Additional crew tasks will include transplanting, hoeing, hand weeding, greenhouse seeding, bin washing, trellising and flower harvesting
- Other activities could include weed whacking, mowing, basic drip irrigation setup and removal, sheet mulching and various farm or property maintenance tasks
- Crew members are expected to maintain focus and mental engagement in the task at hand
- People person - able to interact with farm share members
- Ability to stay calm in stressful situations like dealing with difficult customers
- Experience driving a truck and trailer (or willingness to learn)
- A good driving record
- Experience in retail or food sales is a plus
- Previous farming experience is a plus
- Experience with physical labor or intense outdoor activity - able to lift 50 lbs regularly
- Ability to stay focused throughout the day, keeping an efficient pace no matter the activity
- Ability to work in all types of weather (hot, rainy, and cold)
- Farming requires flexibility and a can-do attitude
- Prefers working within a team
- Curiosity and a sense of humor
- Because our business is located in an area without access to reliable public transportation, we only recommend that applicants with access to a vehicle apply.