Cut-Flower Manager Woodland Gardens, LLC
- Date Posted December 01, 2023
- Location Athens, GA
- Category Agriculture
- Job type Full-Time
CUT FLOWER MANAGER
POSITION AVAILABLE: February 5, 2024
Woodland Gardens is an established, certified organic fruit, vegetable and cut flower farm in Athens, Georgia. We have an opening for a Cut Flower Manager. The Cut Flower Manager will report to Celia Barss, farm manager. Experience is required, but more important to us is someone with the right fit and a professional commitment to the farm. This is an opportunity to work with one of the area’s leading and long-running organic farms. Our field production team has very little turnover, so you will be part of an established and skilled team.Job description
Responsibilities and Expectations
- On- Farm Management
- Manage, with assistance and limited oversight, all aspects of our flower production. This includes but is not limited to: coordinating and assisting in planting, harvesting and bouquet making for Athens CSA, restaurants and Atlanta farmers market.
- Maintain all farm buildings in an organized manner – manage the use and return of all tools to appropriate locations, and ensure a general level of tidiness.
- Assist farm manager in keeping all needed supplies on hand (packaging, cleaning, office, and market supplies).
- Assist with invoicing and bookkeeping and farm record-keeping.
- Markets and CSA
- Saturday Farmers Market – prepare van for market and keep van supplied each week with all supplies necessary for market, work the stand each Saturday morning (with 1-2 Saturdays off/month), operate register, help train market workers, help prepare all produce for sale. You will be expected to interact in a friendly and professional manner while multi-tasking.
- Coordinate and execute weekly Athens and Atlanta restaurant and CSA deliveries- load van, drive and deliver in a professional manner, maintain invoices and checks organized, wear appropriate attire for handling produce boxes efficiently.
III. Organic Production
- Work alongside farm crew and at times independently in all production related activities – bed preparation, harvest, planting, staking and general farm upkeep.
- Assist farm manager with proper care and maintenance of all perennials in winter months.
- Qualification, Requirements and Expectations:
- Limited experience with annual and perennial organic systems and production is required.
- Experience with delivery van driving and a clean driving record are highly beneficial.
- Must be able to lift 50+ pounds on a regular basis.
- Cut Flower Manager shall attend markets in Atlanta on Saturdays (March-December) and will typically have 1-2 markets off per month.
- The Cut flower manager also assists with our restaurant deliveries in Atlanta on Wednesdays (alternates with 2 other managers).
- Weekly work hours may exceed 45 hours in peak growing times, less during non-peak times.
- Basic record-keeping skills are required; familiarity with Excel and a comfort with email.
- Ability to work alongside a diverse farm crew on all aspects of farm production – harvest, planting, weeding, maintenance is required; also, must be comfortable working independently.
- Must have a strong work ethic and a desire to learn. This is critical!
- Must be creative and detail oriented.
- Compensation and Benefits
- Cut Flower Manager shall receive an annual salary of $35,568 (2024 season).
- Cut Flower Manager shall have the opportunity to join the company’s generous health insurance policy at no cost to employee. (cost to farm is $700+/month)
- Cut Flower manager shall receive two (2) weeks of paid vacation, 5 sick/personal days and opportunities for other planned days off.
- Cut-flower manager will have access to a SIMPLE IRA plan after one year of employment.
Compensation this position is : salaried, 35,568* - 50k Application instructions