Farm Manager Bright Spot Farm
- Date Posted December 01, 2023
- Location New Castle, DE
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
Bright Spot Farm is an agriculture-focused training program. Founded in 2011 with the goal of providing paid employment training pathways for young adults. Bright Spot Farm currently provides meaningful hands-on work, experience and training to high school students from New Castle County, Delaware. Bright Spot Farm operates a 3 acre working farm and nursery/garden center through which it trains youth and sells seasonal ornamental plants, vegetable and herb starts, and fresh chemical-free vegetables to the community. As of 2023, the CSA program has grown to serve approximately 150 members. 70% of our membership include low-income Seniors and food insecure families throughout New Castle County, Delaware.
Our objective is to heal and empower the young people in our program by rooting farming and an appreciation of nature into an ethic of community service.
Job Overview: The Farm Manager will manage all aspects of Bright Spot Farm’s production fields. This position requires a strong, practical knowledge of agricultural skills and farm management. The ideal candidate for this position has an interest in small scale vegetable production, food systems, food-insecurity and community outreach. The Farm Manager reports directly to the Program Director. This is a full-time position.
- Planning and leading day-to-day farm operations, including but not limited to field prep, seeding, transplanting, harvesting, packing, and delivering produce.
- Produce annual field plans, seed ordering and material acquisition.
- Maintaining records on material orders, retail sales, harvest yields, etc.
- Irrigation planning and implementation
- Maintain farm infrastructure and landscape
- Insect and weed control, general field observation
- Maintenance and monitoring of deer fencing
- Maintaining seed crops and coordinating logistics with seed contracts
- Coordinating produce needs for the CSA program, markets & educational program
- Supervision of young adults 14-18 in all aspects of farm production.
- Ability to drive compact Kubota tractor, also responsible for scheduling maintenance if needed.
- Driving Bright Spot Farms’ refrigerated box truck and pick-up truck for markets and CSA deliveries.
- Working one or more farmer’s market (possibly evening markets)
- Supervision of volunteers/volunteer groups
- Managing restaurant deliveries and farmer’s markets
- Helping with greenhouse/landscaping projects as needed
- 40-hour work week, some evening, weekend and special event hours may be required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Horticulture/Agriculture or related field, or demonstrated experience
- 2+ years’ experience in organic method farming (at least one full season at one farm).
- Experience working with youth preferred.
Skills & Abilities:
- Positive attitude, even in stressful or challenging situations
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Attention to detail and ability to balance multiple priorities
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (specifically Word and Excel)
- Ability to bend, kneel, and stand for extended periods and lift at least 50 lbs.
- Ability to work in difficult weather conditions
- Strong attention to detail and ability to balance multiple priorities
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team