Farm Steward The Community Food Collaborative
- Date Posted February 05, 2024
- Location Henrico, VA
- Category Agriculture / Education
- Job type Part-Time
Cornerstone Farm at Fairfield Middle School (FMS) is a collaborative effort between Henrico County Public Schools (HCPS) and the Community Food Collaborative (CFC), a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. The farm consists of a market garden, orchard, and riparian buffer area that serve as an educational space for FMS students and community members alike. Produce from the farm is made available to students and staff and sold at Dorey Park Farmers’ Market and a weekly on-campus pop-up market.
The Farm Steward is responsible for furthering the production, educational opportunities, and outreach efforts of CFC’s Cornerstone Farm at FMS. The successful candidate will have experience working outside under adverse conditions and with people of diverse backgrounds. They should be flexible, able to take direction, and adept at learning new skills. The Farm Steward is supervised by the Community Agriculturist and is employed on an at-will basis.
This is a 25-hour per week, in-person position that requires occasional evening and weekend availability. Pay is $19/hour. The position runs April - October, but may be able to be extended as funding allows.
Essential Job Duties
- Adhere to all HCPS and CFC policies and procedures;
- Perform aspects of crop production including seeding, planting, weeding, fertilizing, and harvesting;
- Ensure that farm equipment and facilities are properly maintained;
- Keep harvest, compost, and other records related to farm operations;
- Conduct weekly farmers’ markets both on- and off-site and provide exceptional customer service;
- Represent CFC at farmers’ markets and other public events both on- and off-site;
- Assist with the delivery of in-school and after-school agricultural education;
- Assist the Community Agriculturist with outreach efforts to the surrounding community;
- Manage and supervise volunteers independently and/or in collaboration with other staff;
- Other related duties.
- 3+ years of farming, gardening, and/or community food project experience and/or education;
- Skills necessary to operate a farmers’ market stand or other customer service experience;
- Ability to lift and carry 40 pounds and to work in challenging conditions;
- Ability to travel to off-site work locations as detailed in job duties;
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as needed.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! DeadlineMarch 15, 2024